Question Problems getting an acceptable FPS for 4K gaming on Very High/Ultra/Extreme Graphics Settings

Battousai01

Oct 15, 2002
Hi guys, I have the following specs:

1. AMD Ryzen 5 3600
2. RTX 3060 Ti
3. 16GB RAM
4. B450 ITX Motherboard

I am mainly gaming on AAA titles that are 4 to 7 years old already and some recent games that are not too demanding like NBA 2K and Resident Evil series. I also do VR using high-end headsets with 4k displays. For non-VR gaming, I am only playing at 60hz. refresh rate. For VR I am at 90hz. refresh rate.

I haven't tested that much games yet but I noticed for Rise of the Tomb Raider which is a 7 year old game already, when I switch all graphical settings to "Very High" and set the resolution to 4k, the FPS drops significantly to the point that the game is unplayable. on VR as well, whenever I set to native 4k resolution, I don't get that smooth FPS, my FPS averages probably around 20-30 FPS.

I would like to know what upgrade do I need to achieve a good FPS (preferably in the range of 40-60, the higher the better) when setting a game to 4k, max graphics settings? The ideal scenario is that I prefer to just go into the graphics setting and then switch everything to max and 4k and not worry about tweaking graphic settings.

Lastly, is there a gaming laptop that can handle 4k, max graphic setting?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Last edited:

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Well a 2080 Ti, which is about 10% faster than a 3060 Ti, only gets about 60fps at 4K with Tomb Raider. VR drives the game twice, so 20-30fps sounds normal.

Maxing out 4K is not a reasonable goal. Even a RTX 3090 can’t get 60fps in plenty of games at 4K, much less in VR. I have a 3090 and a 12900K and I run most games with DLSS on at 4K, and on standard/non-VR if I can get 80fps I’m pretty happy in most games.

There is no laptop that can handle 4K gaming with reasonable performance levels without FSR or DLSS, and even then, why would you want to? It would sound like a god damn tornado with the fan noise.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Upgrading to a 3080Ti or higher would help a bit, but most likely you still won't want to play on max. Upgrading your CPU to a 5900X or the like would help with smoothness and minimum FPS a bit, I suspect. Easiest thing to do would be to turn down settings, and turn on DLSS or FSR if possible, to help improve framerates.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
when I switch all graphical settings to "Very High" and set the resolution to 4k

Either:
Turn the graphics settings down to low or medium. Odds are you will not notice* the difference anyway.
and or
Drop the resolution down and use an upscaler like DLSS. DLSS is designed for what you are trying to do.

A 3060 Ti is a 1080p card, you are asking about 4x what it is capable of.

*raytracing is still a bit pointless

*high settings are dumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1n1sIQM5wc

Maxing out 4K is not a reasonable goal. Even a RTX 3090 can’t get 60fps in plenty of games at 4K, much less in VR. I have a 3090 and a 12900K and I run most games with DLSS on at 4K, and on standard/non-VR if I can get 80fps I’m pretty happy in most games.
I have a rx6900xt paired with a 5900x, and I am grateful I have a 1440p monitor. Once I started playing around with it, my monitor upgrade plans went out the window. 4k gaming at reasonable ( >70 fps mins ) refresh rates is not here yet. Yea, some games will do it, but many more especially single player will not.

Last edited:

Battousai01

Oct 15, 2002
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Yes, I finally agree that there is indeed negligible difference from ultra setting and high setting. However, I am still a bit surprised that you will still need the currently highest-end GPU to run two or even three generations old game at 4k ultra. I was expecting that playing 7-10 year old games at the current mid to high-end GPUs is no problem at all for 4k ultra gaming but it seems that is not the case.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Either:
Turn the graphics settings down to low or medium. Odds are you will not notice* the difference anyway.
and or
Drop the resolution down and use an upscaler like DLSS. DLSS is designed for what you are trying to do.

A 3060 Ti is a 1080p card, you are asking about 4x what it is capable of.

*raytracing is still a bit pointless

*high settings are dumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1n1sIQM5wc

I have a rx6900xt paired with a 5900x, and I am grateful I have a 1440p monitor. Once I started playing around with it, my monitor upgrade plans went out the window. 4k gaming at reasonable ( >70 fps mins ) refresh rates is not here yet. Yea, some games will do it, but many more especially single player will not.
RTX 3060 Ti is definitely 1440p card rather than 1080p card. I happen to actually have one and a 1440p screen so I know rather well how it does. I upgraded from GTX 1070.

4K gaming card it is not though.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
RTX 3060 Ti is definitely 1440p card rather than 1080p card. I happen to actually have one and a 1440p screen so I know rather well how it does. I upgraded from GTX 1070.

4K gaming card it is not though.
Came in here to post that. My compact EVGA 3060ti XC does 1440p quite well.

Reactions: Tup3x