problem with XBOX 360 controller

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I Googled, but I don't know what I'm looking for. Basically I play a few games on MAME, and the problem happens a lot, but it seems to be pretty random. When I press button combinations or move the analog stick + press a button it will randomly drop me back to my desktop. The game will still be running as I can hear it. I alt tab back and I'm playing again. It happens a lot, and I can't figure out what's causing it. I thought maybe it was MAME but I tried 3 totally different builds and the same thing. Then I tried an NES emulator and the same thing happened. Any freaking idea what this is?

Windows 10 64 bit, I've tried plugging the controller into another USB port, same crap. I'm out of ideas.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Did it used to do that on Windows 7? I've seen several obscure glitches like that spring up since Win10 upgrades. An "unwanted ALT-TAB" thing where exactly the same problem occurs on multiple different applications to me suggests an OS glitch / conflict rather than each application having exactly the same bug. Either that or maybe you've got some utility running that's fighting for attention?

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
games alt tabing out is usually caused by another programing forcing itself to the front for what ever reason.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Check your task manager before playing the game and after it minimizes to see if something new popped up as Jeff mentioned.