Problem with weak wifi signal

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I've got a Buffalo Tech WHR-HP-G54 router in my basement that I've added a Omni directional antenna (Buffalo Tech WLE-HG-NDR) via a cable so that the antenna sits high up on the first floor of the house. Everybody seemed to be happy except my wife in the master bedroom still got a poor signal from about 40 feet away. So, I ran cat5e all the way up to the bedroom and installed a Buffalo Tech WZR2-G300N as an access point (it has a hardware switch on the outside).

Now when she connects she still has a pretty poor signal even though she is 15 feet from the AP and in a direct line of sight of it. So, I did a little experiment today. I unplugged the access point while she was looking at the signal strength (and refreshing) on her laptop. No change.

Is this router/AP broken? Should I try configuring it as a second wireless router? It seems that when it's switched to function as an access point there really are no configurations.

What am I doing wrong?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Even when it is set via hardware switch to be an AP, you still have to configure the SSID and security key. If you have not done that yet, then perhaps that's why you are not connecting through that AP?

It seems some configuration is in order.

tangrisser

Feb 21, 2012
The access point that you connected to the router is most likely not acting an extension of your current wireless network. You will most likely have to use WDS feature if both routers are capable.

I would guess that because WHR-HP-G54 is the preferred router to connect even though it's far away, notebook may be trying to maintain that connection.