Problem with new Home theatre box

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, I am usually pretty good at this, used to work in an electronics store 35 years ago. (I am showing my age) So I hook up the speakers, the TV and the comcast box and the blueray player to HDMI, but I have an old VHS play for those rare moment when I want to watch home movies or the like. So I hook it up to the RCA inputs for aux1 (tried several) and I get sound, but no video. I an using the yellow (video) red and white (right an left channel audio), and both the home theatre box and the VHS player seem to be plugged into the right place, but audio works and no video ?

Oh, both comcast and the blueray work perfectly for video and audio. I assume its something odd, that if the input is RCA, the putput from the home theatre box must also be ? Dual video ? But then it would have a different input selected ??? I am confused. Happens on 2 different boxes, I just ugraded the whole house to HDMI.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
You have a monitor with RCA video in or something you can see if the VHS players RCA video out is working?

Could be something with the auto sense on the box or a setting on the Box. Try with a VHS playing unplug and plug in the VHS video.

Whats the HDMI box?

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
The Home theatre box is a Yamaha RX-V483. I know the VHS player works, it worked before I changed the box to HDMI. And all HDMI devices work. It seems to be a problem mixing HDMI video out with composite video in.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, forget this. I called my local video store, and they told me that model does not have an "upconverter" for composite to HDMI.

So my question now is, what idiot designs a unit with HDMI and composite inputs if only the HDMI works ?

Edit: only HDMI or only composite.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Yea you would think that's the whole idea of getting a HDMI box so you just need the connection to the TV.