Question Problem with my external hard drive

Drajcevic

Jan 11, 2019
A couple of days ago I tried connecting my WD external hard drive to my ps4 so I could watch a movie off of it. After I connected it, I accidentally formatted it and everything that was on it was deleted, and now when I connect it to a computer the hard drive does not show up at all. Is there anything I can do to recover my data without spending a ton of money? What can I do to fix the problem with the hard drive not showing up on my computer?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Chances are, the PS4 reformatted it, to a PS4-specific fileystem type, and Windows' won't recognize that filesystem type.

You might find some success with "deep recovery" programs. I believe that Recuva is free. Give it a shot. You'll need ANOTHER HDD of the same size or larger, to save your files. And if there's anything remotely physically wrong with the drive, then you'll need at least one MORE drive, to clone that drive onto, before using it to recovery to your recovery drive.

Reactions: Drajcevic

Drajcevic

Jan 11, 2019
Chances are, the PS4 reformatted it, to a PS4-specific fileystem type, and Windows' won't recognize that filesystem type.

You might find some success with "deep recovery" programs. I believe that Recuva is free. Give it a shot. You'll need ANOTHER HDD of the same size or larger, to save your files. And if there's anything remotely physically wrong with the drive, then you'll need at least one MORE drive, to clone that drive onto, before using it to recovery to your recovery drive.

Thanks for the help!