problem with k100d

TheDrake

Dec 5, 2006
Well I recevied the k100d this past friday and love it for the price, its a little loud and focus time is a little slower than I was hoping for but for the price you really cant beat it so I cant complain. The problem I am having with it is in the dark pictures I have taken there is 1 hot red pixel, you cant see it in bright pictures but its enough to bother me in the darker ones. I know I can easily photoshop it out but should I just get a replacement while I have the chance from Bestbuy or live with it?

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Live with it. You'll likely get another one with a hot pixel. Or maybe the next one will have 2.

My 20D has quite a few now, but it's been well used for a couple years now. It didn't have any when new, but sensors do develop them over time. It happens. Only shows up on long exposures or night shots. Kind of a pain, but not a deal breaker IMO.

BoldAsLove

Platinum Member
May 10, 2005
im having a weird problem with mine too...some pictures it looks like theres a small grey mark about a quarter of an inch in the center of the picture which ahs messed up many of my pictures. I tried cleaning the lens but it didnt do anything. do you guys think i should clean the sensor?

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: BoldAsLove
im having a weird problem with mine too...some pictures it looks like theres a small grey mark about a quarter of an inch in the center of the picture which ahs messed up many of my pictures. I tried cleaning the lens but it didnt do anything. do you guys think i should clean the sensor?

Sounds like dust on the sensor, could you post a pic that has this problem?

TheDrake

Dec 5, 2006
Ok well I dont know what this means but the hot red pixel was of pictures that were taken with processing done in camera. I took some of the RAW (.PEF) files from the memory card and viewed them with photoshop and I cant find that same red pixel in the RAW data. When I open it in photoshop is it doing some PP automatically and thats the reason I cant see it?

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: TheDrake
Ok well I dont know what this means but the hot red pixel was of pictures that were taken with processing done in camera. I took some of the RAW (.PEF) files from the memory card and viewed them with photoshop and I cant find that same red pixel in the RAW data. When I open it in photoshop is it doing some PP automatically and thats the reason I cant see it?

Some RAW processing automatically checks for and fixes hot pixels. I don't know if Photoshop does this or not as I don't use Photoshop for RAW conversions.

So what you mean is that if you shoot in JPEG you notice this? Or are you noticing this on your actual LCD screen only?

If it's just the LCD display screen it may be the screen with the problem, not the image file.

TheDrake

Dec 5, 2006
I shoot in jpeg and then transfer it over to my PC and notice it there. I am just curious on why when I shoot it in jpeg that it doesnt catch the red pixel and correct it, I have the noise correction enabled on my camera, not sure what else I would need to enable to catch and correct it. It would be too much of a pain to have to photoshop every single picture I take....

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
I shoot in jpeg and then transfer it over to my PC and notice it there. I am just curious on why when I shoot it in jpeg that it doesnt catch the red pixel and correct it, I have the noise correction enabled on my camera, not sure what else I would need to enable to catch and correct it. It would be too much of a pain to have to photoshop every single picture I take....

Some cameras can map these pixels and remove them, but I doubt the Pentax can.

You're stuck with it, or you can try to have it swapped, but no guarantees that it will not happen again on the new one. And over time, it will happen regardless.

TheDrake

Dec 5, 2006
Well I have been messing around with the camera alot more and realizing the shutter is pretty darn loud and the buffer can be annoying (at best). I am wondering if it would be worth it to go for the K10D just from reading on it the buffer is way better and shutter is quieter and faster focus it seems that are big things that attract me to the camera with a $300+ more price tag. I havent invested in any lenses yet so what do you all think about going for the K10D? I mean is there any other camera I should be considering that does have a faster focus, bigger buffer, and quieter shutter thats $600-900?

I love everything else about the K100D but those particular things bother me the most about it. any input would be great!

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
If fast AF is your concern, Pentax is not for you.
K10D does have faster AF than K100D but it's still not as good as the others.

Why don't you try Nikon or Canon? I'd recommand Nikon as it's the best when it comes to fast and accurate AF.
If you're going for Nikon, avoid D40 and D40x as you might end up with no AF at all depending on lenses you might use.

TheDrake

Dec 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Deadtrees

Why don't you try Nikon or Canon? I'd recommand Nikon as it's the best when it comes to fast and accurate AF.
If you're going for Nikon, avoid D40 and D40x as you might end up with no AF at all depending on lenses you might use.

Thanks for the input although after reading/researching I am really not interested in anything nikon or canon have to offer. And the af on the k100d isnt unbearable, its fine, it would just be nice to have something a little faster which it seems the k10d does do and so far from my experience its very accurate.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001

Thanks for the input although after reading/researching I am really not interested in anything nikon or canon have to offer. And the af on the k100d isnt unbearable, its fine, it would just be nice to have something a little faster which it seems the k10d does do and so far from my experience its very accurate.

No interest in anything Nikon or Canon offer? What have you been reading?! :confused: Canon and Nikon have a lot to offer that other manufacturers can't. Canon has a bevy of lenses to choose from that no other manufacturer offers. Nikon offers a lighting system that is top of the heap. Both offer a growth path in bodies, lenses and accessories from the rank amateur to the top professional. And both offer AF capabilities that nobody else can touch. Just to name a few.

TheDrake

Dec 5, 2006
Originally posted by: tdawg

No interest in anything Nikon or Canon offer? What have you been reading?! :confused: Canon and Nikon have a lot to offer that other manufacturers can't. Canon has a bevy of lenses to choose from that no other manufacturer offers. Nikon offers a lighting system that is top of the heap. Both offer a growth path in bodies, lenses and accessories from the rank amateur to the top professional. And both offer AF capabilities that nobody else can touch. Just to name a few.

Thank you for your input and I agree with some of what you said, but when you put it into perspective of price/performance, nothing of nikon or canon interest me. Now if I were to go into a professional photography then I would be more inclined to research nikon and canon more, but I am your average joe so I always look for the best ratio of price to performance and nothing beats out pentax from my research. Whether you agree with that or not I am not interested in as we all have different standards of what we think is the best price/performance ratio cause we weigh certain features more or less than others will.