Problem with HAF-X removable bays and X79 Intel SATA3 6.0gb ports

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have an Asus P9X79 Deluxe and an HAF-X case. I currently have the second Intel SATA3 6.0gb port connected to one of the removable drive bays on the HAF-X. It looks like this: http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews...r-master-haf-x-full-tower-case-review?start=3

I configured the BIOS to make the second SATA3 6.0gb port as Hot Swappable. For some reason, whenever I plug any hard drive into the PC it starts to spin the disk up, but then clicks over and over again until I turn the PC off or remove the drive. What's going on here? This worked when I was using the removable bays on SATA2 3.0gb ports with an Asus P6X58 Premium.

Last edited:

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Pretty sure you will have covered these points but just to be sure.

* Are you certain you have set the correct sata port to "hot swappable" i.e are you mixing 1 + 2 up

* Is the HDD you are trying to use formatted correctly for use in your system?

readymix

Jan 3, 2007
cannot help you with your problem but yours and mine may be related. First, i don't recall any hot swap problems before i started testing for a solution to my troubles. My problem is that my internal blu-ray burner in a external enclosure on the intel sata2 port will not format bd-r disks or if pre-formated throws errors on burn verification. also have some other problems with dvd-r disks too. This is mostly related to w7 creating system images. So far after 4 fresh installs of w7 and omiting the RST-e drivers on this last install things are functioning correctly. In the coming days with a fresh batch of disks i will try again, if successful i will install RST-e and see what happens. Of course this bd-r operation has and still does always work flawlessly on my P6T6 and Hp laptop.

Last edited:

bankster55

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2010
Intel SB UEFI have no hotswap capability
If you want hotswap you will have to install as IDE mode with MS generic drivers, no RST RSTe AHCI or RAID
In this condition you will see 6 individual ports in dev man, instead of single Intel Express controller entry

Keep doing that testing and you may wreck the drive

The misnamed "hotplug" option in bios is actually a choice between performance and detectability - hotplug for detectability. This is why some SSD dont show until HP is enabled.

Cases that have a backplane or pluggable cage for hot swapping drives are another boobytrap. They add resistance and act as antenna for EMI. I would never use a HDD SSD plugged into a case port first. Saw a guy with R4E with Corsair case who couldnt boot under any condition, then direct connected the drive to mobo port and everything worked

Just fwiw

readymix

Jan 3, 2007
So far after 4 fresh installs of w7 and omiting the RST-e drivers on this last install things are functioning correctly. In the coming days with a fresh batch of disks i will try again, if successful i will install RST-e and see what happens. Of course this bd-r operation has and still does always work flawlessly on my P6T6 and Hp laptop.

3 more tries.

No doubt about it, RSTe breaks the funtionality of my pioneer bdr-206. Breaks off the mb support cd, the mb download page and the intel download of the most recent. pos software times 3. intel sucks ass writing software. :)

bankster55

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2010
ya, BRD have about a 50% chance of working depending on brand
As more UEFI bios updates are programmed, more devices will be detectable

If you use the mobo CD ship RSTe you are dead meat
If you update bios before install and using mobo CD RSTe - even worse
Using RAID setup also - absolute worst
The CD will come with RSTe 3001111 or 3001112
Ship bios RSTe oprom is 3001184
Even if you make it go, updating bios will wreck things again
If you look at the release notes for 3003020 (cumulative back to ship RSTe) you will be shocked. All the forum nightmare posts are KNOWN issues.
Read em and weep. (station-drivers)
ftp://212.83.253.36/CDR-X9-UP_1.03_for_Intel_X9_UP_platform/Intel/RSTe/RSTe3.0 Release Notes.pdf

Intel also released two parallel platforms simultaneously
Wiamea Bay (enthusiast) and Romley (Intel branded Server mobo), but put both driver paks in download.
The "A" and the "S" versions (SAS Serial Access SCSI)
The misnamed "AHCI" is RAID and AHCI

There are now two versions of 3003020 on Intel download - Win 7 X64 Dec 2011, and Win Server Feb 26 2012. Slightly dif named.

Intel released 3 updates to RSTe
3002003 (Current ASUS)

7016 has been pulled and scrubbed from internet. I defy you to find them. Worked fine for me on bout 6 builds, at least so far lol

If you look in your Dev Man with generic MS drivers you will see 6 individual IDE channels representing 6 Intel SATA, not a single Intel Express controller (UEFI ports).