problem with friend.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, if he eats at your place, and sleeps there half the time, while spending all his free time there, that's a pretty good deal for him. He wants the benefits of apartment living without the cost.

His reasons for not moving aren't exactly compelling.

I'm pretty sure I'm right, because there was a time when I was that guy.

ngvepforever2

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2003
Originally posted by: se7enty7
my friend: hey
my friend: cant sleep
me: i cant sleep either
me: you should pay $200/month. get your own bathroom (unattached) and move your bed, desk, and dresser over
me: that's not much moving
me: and makes life 100x easier for you
me: think of it this way.. exactly how much time do you spend at your house?
my friend: i dunno, i'll talk to my dad, but also i was thinking, i don't want to do anything until things slow down
me: slow down?
my friend: between school and work, all i want to do when i'm not either of those places is lay down
me: hm
me: that doesn't add up/make sense to me
me: i understand
my friend: what?
me: i dunno
me: can't interpret thoughts into words about it i guess
my friend: ok
my friend: like for the past 2 weeks, i think i've been pretty busy
my friend: i've either worked in some way or gone to school or both every day
my friend: today was the first day i didn't do a damn thing
me: how does that relate to sleeping over here rather than there?
me: and how does laying down have to do with that?
my friend: it would take days to move
me: it depends on how "moved" you want to be
me: moving a bed, dresser, desk, computer, clothes would take a full day of work.
my friend: when i move, i will not go to my parents house for anything
me: moving everything you own would take two weekends
my friend: it just isn't something that's that high on my list at this point in time, i mean i think about it a lot, but it's not something i want to commit time to right now
my friend: plus, i'd have to argue and argue with my dad
me: then don't bother
me: look
my friend: and mother not to mention
me: when your ready to move out, then do it. It's not logical, and none of these arguments hold up in my opinion. you don't spend all your time here, but you spend a great great deal more time here than you do at your house. That's fine with me, but it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't move a bed, a dresser, and a desk (or ALL your stuff for that matter) when your over here most of your free time anyway. if your not ready, then your not ready. Saying you don't want to spend a weekend (or two, or three even) when you are rarely at home doesn't hold up, at all. To be honest, it seems like a bunch of bullshit excuses. It's not a matter of 'moving out'.. it appears like you've basically done that.
me: that reads worse than it sounds.
my friend: yep. it does
me: i personally don't care if you don't pay rent
me: don't pay anything
me: but saying you don't feel like spending two weekends moving out offends me.
my friend: i'm sorry, i don't mean it to
my friend: but i guess i am not ready. i don't want it to be an argument
me: you not ready sounds a thousand times better than not wanting to spend time moving stuff
my friend: but i don't like that answer, i'm not ready
my friend: it just is so wishy washy
me: think about how it sounds that you don't feel like moving your stuff
my friend: so i dunno, i guess i was trying to think of excuses myself
my friend: to myself
me: well
my friend: don't be pissed of at me
my friend: please
me: no no im not
me: not at all
my friend: i dunno, i think the biggest mistake i thinking i've made is thinking i want to move out but not actually thinking ABOUT moving out
my friend: *in thinking
me: from my eyes
me: you've moved out.

I am sorry dude, but your conversation does sound either like two girls talking or a couple having a fight.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Sounds like your friend is lazy, just kick him out before you go to bed....unless you are how they suggest in this thread...:evil:

rmrf

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
I have a friend that was like that. I got married in August, and he works for my dad, which is 3 miles from my house. So when I would get home from work he would come over and stay until I went to bed. I think he got the hint that we liked him, but didn't want him at our house all the time, so he's usually just over 1 day a week.

I really don't have any advice for you, because I really don't know how I got him to not come over all the time.

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
I'm confused. You dont' care if he pays rent but you are making a big deal about him moving stuff over and officially moving in.
If I was him and you weren't pushing for me to pay rent I would do the same thing :p Why do you care anyways?

And yes..this thread makes you sound very gay. haha.

stinkycheese

Nov 9, 2003
Can you guys stop quoting the whole conversation? It's slowing down my reading. Thanks.

PS - I don't think he's ready for that kind of committment.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: stinkycheese
Can you guys stop quoting the whole conversation? It's slowing down my reading. Thanks.

PS - I don't think he's ready for that kind of committment.

read faster.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: se7enty7
my friend: hey
my friend: cant sleep
me: i cant sleep either
me: you should pay $200/month. get your own bathroom (unattached) and move your bed, desk, and dresser over
me: that's not much moving
me: and makes life 100x easier for you
me: think of it this way.. exactly how much time do you spend at your house?
my friend: i dunno, i'll talk to my dad, but also i was thinking, i don't want to do anything until things slow down
me: slow down?
my friend: between school and work, all i want to do when i'm not either of those places is lay down
me: hm
me: that doesn't add up/make sense to me
me: i understand
my friend: what?
me: i dunno
me: can't interpret thoughts into words about it i guess
my friend: like for the past 2 weeks, i think i've been pretty busy
my friend: i've either worked in some way or gone to school or both every day
my friend: today was the first day i didn't do a damn thing
me: how does that relate to sleeping over here rather than there?
me: and how does laying down have to do with that?
my friend: it would take days to move
me: it depends on how "moved" you want to be
me: moving a bed, dresser, desk, computer, clothes would take a full day of work.
my friend: when i move, i will not go to my parents house for anything
me: moving everything you own would take two weekends
my friend: it just isn't something that's that high on my list at this point in time, i mean i think about it a lot, but it's not something i want to commit time to right now
my friend: plus, i'd have to argue and argue with my dad
me: then don't bother
me: look
my friend: and mother not to mention
me: when your ready to move out, then do it. It's not logical, and none of these arguments hold up in my opinion. you don't spend all your time here, but you spend a great great deal more time here than you do at your house. That's fine with me, but it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't move a bed, a dresser, and a desk (or ALL your stuff for that matter) when your over here most of your free time anyway. if your not ready, then your not ready. Saying you don't want to spend a weekend (or two, or three even) when you are rarely at home doesn't hold up, at all. To be honest, it seems like a bunch of bullshit excuses. It's not a matter of 'moving out'.. it appears like you've basically done that.
me: that reads worse than it sounds.
my friend: yep. it does
me: i personally don't care if you don't pay rent
me: don't pay anything
me: but saying you don't feel like spending two weekends moving out offends me.
my friend: i'm sorry, i don't mean it to
my friend: but i guess i am not ready. i don't want it to be an argument
me: you not ready sounds a thousand times better than not wanting to spend time moving stuff
my friend: but i don't like that answer, i'm not ready
my friend: it just is so wishy washy
me: think about how it sounds that you don't feel like moving your stuff
my friend: so i dunno, i guess i was trying to think of excuses myself
my friend: to myself
me: well
my friend: don't be pissed of at me
my friend: please
me: no no im not
me: not at all
my friend: i dunno, i think the biggest mistake i thinking i've made is thinking i want to move out but not actually thinking ABOUT moving out
my friend: *in thinking
me: from my eyes
me: you've moved out.

dude it sounds like you guys are going out

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
2 weekends to move? you guys must suck at moving. we once moved all of a guy's stuff in 30 minutes, including drive time. and none of it was packed before we started. it was ubar!