Problem with EVGA 8800 GTS

avzay66

Feb 14, 2001
My a bit over a year old 8800 GTS developed an issue last night. I was playing a game and all of a sudden the monitors went black and computer restarted. When monitors turned back on, there was blinking red and green artifact looking squares all over the screen in BIOS and during load-in screen, and in windows the screen was covered in vertical strings of pixels green in color. When i try to scroll text in internet explorer these green strings of pixels turn pinkish purple. Additionally, the device manager showed that the card was not functioning properly and I could no load up any 3D application. When starting WoW for example, it gave me a message that no suitable video device was found. Reinstalling drivers did not help at all.

Is this likely a video card or a motherboard issue? Unfortunately I dont have anywhere else to plug in the card to test it out, and I forgot to register the card with EVGA, so warranty was only 1 year which is over by now.

will889

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2003
Sounds like bad GPU memory or possibly heat issues. If your warranty is OOD I would still try to test the card on another system somehow, or a fresh OS install with your current system. Try different drivers (newest) if you can.