Problem with Ahead INCD with Windows XP.

ddeder

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2001
First of all, I have built many computers with CD-RW drives and Ahead Nero software. Up until now, the motherboards I have used have always had the via chipset. The problem I am having is only happening with a motherboard with the NVIDIA chipset (Biostar M7NCG 400). After a clean install of Windows XP Home and all drivers and Microsoft updates, I go to install the Nero Cd burning software (v 5.5). I install the Nero software and INCD/Packet writing software and reboot. Upon rebooting, as soon as I reach the desktop, I get a BSOD and the computer reboots. I am no longer able to boot the computer normally. I boot to safe mode just fine. I remove the INCD/Packet writing software and reboot. My computer now boots just fine. There is no doubt that the INCD/Packet writing software is causing the problem. I go to Nero's website for support. I need to know what version of INCD I have. Apparently this version number is not the same as the version of Nero (5.5). The version of INCD is not written on the CD face. I cannot boot the computer normally to find the version while in Windows XP. When I boot to safe mode while INCD is still on the computer, it does not show up in my program listing. How can I tell what version of INCD I have?

egale

Jun 5, 2002
If you can uninstal InCD while in safe mode or prevent it from loading using msconfig in safe mode do it! Then when you can, get it off your system for good!

Packet writing software, and it doesn't matter whose, is horribly unreliable. It can cause all sorts of system problems and worse you can find a cdrw that you have been using is suddenly unreadable. I have lost lots of data when cdrws that were written with InCD are all of a sudden unreadable.

Although packet writing software is convenient, it is trouble waiting to happen.

ddeder

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2001
Thanks for the reply. If I remove INCD from the computer, how do I format a CD-RW disk?

After lots of testing, here is what I found... I did have an older version of INCD. After downloading and installing the newest version from Nero's website, this fixed the BSOD/reboot problem. However, everytime I tried to format a CD-RW or burn a CD, I got an error telling me to check the compatibility of the CD I was using or that there may be a scratch on the CD. I tried multiple CD's (different brands) and received this error every time. Finally, I downloaded the newest Unified drivers from NVidia's website and installed those (I assume these drivers correspond to Via's 4 in 1 drivers). Viola - the CD-RW drive started working. I could format a CD-RW disk and burn CD's. So the problem was two-fold - I needed the latest version of the INCD software and the latest NVidia drivers for my motherboard. Just another case of never use the drivers that came with the product...

Incidently, the first CD-RW drive I was working with turned out to be defective. After spending 20 minutes figuring that out I swapped it with an identical drive. ARGH!

Once I had the CD burning issues resolved I thought I would sit back and watch a DVD. I started my PowerDVD program and it gave me a message that it was resetting my resolution to 1024x768. I clicked on okay and my screen went blank. I could hear the music from the DVD but my screen remained blank. I tried to escape out and CTRL-ALT-DEL but nothing worked. Rebooted and got the blank screen right away. Rebooted to safe mode and removed my Video drivers. Rebooted normally and my screen worked again. Reinatalled video drivers and rebooted and everything works again. This time I changed my resolution to 1024x768 BEFORE starting PowerDVD. Started the movie and it plays just fine now.

The incompatibilities between hardware makers and the inability of the hardware makers to ship there product with a decent set of drivers is driving me insane. Almost enough to make me switch to a MAC.