** Problem solved-thanks Jesta**Difficulty opening notebook case (Toshiba) HELP

msh111

Nov 13, 2000
Thanks in advance if you post as this is a hair ripper-outter for me. The HD went in my Toshiba 1605CDS which is OOW. I got the HD bt can't get the damn case open. The screws are all removed from the bottom, including one internal screw located in the memory slot area. Anything attached is removed, battery etc. Is there something under the keys I should know about to release the board from the upper case? I wanted to ask before venturing into it. Any diagrams or anything you could point to ont he web would be helpful. :)

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Have you been to the Toshiba web site. I know that Dell and some others have disassembly/assembly guides for notebooks on their sites. Also do web search. I've not done a Toshiba recently, so I can't help from personal experience.
.bh.

msh111

Nov 13, 2000
Thanks Zepper, yes I have. Toshiba site has squat. Searched and spent a few hours scouring some sites around the internet, most don't have pointers on cases. I even joined a 1605cds owners group :(, posted and no replies. I can't believe one has to be a rocket scientist to get this thing to crack! Any rocket scientists out there? :)

Jesta

Jun 9, 2001
I have worked on quite a few Toshiba 445's and if it's the same then there are 5-6 screws on the bottom, then there is a plastic locking strip along the top of the keyboard that pops out to reveal more screws holding the keyboard on. Then on the back there are just a couple screws that attached next to the docking station connector which prevent the screen/top part of the laptop from seperating from the bottom half. Hope this helps.

msh111

Nov 13, 2000
Thank you Jesta! That was the info I needed to get this thing sprung. After removing that piece of plastic and four underlying screws for the keyboard it was a piece of cake! Now, if I can just get Fujitsu to say they will replace my 14 month old hard drive with a new one due to failure, all will be right with the world! Thanks all for your help :)