Problem ripping a DVD

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm having a problem ripping a DVD, being side B of the anamorphic widescreen Schindler's List. DVDShrink reports a cyclic redundancy error when analyzing and Smartripper 2.41 just hangs at 94% when trying to rip it to HD. I had no problem viewing either side, so I figure it's an anomaly and that there must be a workaround to ripping this. I thought it was probably the disk, but I got another copy and it has the same problem. Is there another program or way of ripping this? I want to make a DVD out of it. Thanks.

fuentefan

Nov 2, 2004
Download the trial version of this program. Let it run in the background and still use DVD Shrink. Works like a charm..

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: fuentefan
Download the trial version of this program. Let it run in the background and still use DVD Shrink. Works like a charm..

Interesting. I downloaded a new version of AnyDVD, but I had an older version (3.9.2.1) which is actually a little more recent than my DVDShrink 3.21, so I installed the older version of AnyDVD and rebooted and it's running in the background. My attempt to rip with DVDShrink again had a cyclic redundancy error! I'm now trying to rip with Smartripper, but expect it will hang again at 94%. Weird.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Happened with the newer version too, 5.9.6.1. I tried one last thing: Copy all the files to my HD. Got a cyclic redundancy error when copying file VTS_01_4.VOB. That seems to be the file. I don't know if it's a form of copy protection or just an error coded into the DVD. My inclination is to think the latter, but who knows.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Try DVD Decrypter with Any DVD in the background.
DVDDecrypter reported an I/O error. Unrecoverable read error. However, there's an interesting thing. I was given an option to "Ignore" the error, and I did. I guess it's possible I will be able to play the resulting rip. Wonder if I can run DVDShrink against the DVDDecrypter rip to shrink it down to a DVD+R.

I got 4 more read errors, ignoring every time and DVDDecrypter offered to automatically ignore read errors (!), and I said "Yes." Now, I guess it will complete the rip. I will then see if I can run DVDShrink against the rip somehow.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
107 read errors and counting so far and still at 47% in DVDDecrypter for the last hour. Don't know if it's gonna make it...

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Is the disc scratched or smudged at all? That can cause read errors, especially along the outer tracks.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
slysoft anydvd ripper ftw! it gets whatever dvd that fails with other rippers for me. but generally dvd decrypter works

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Is the disc scratched or smudged at all? That can cause read errors, especially along the outer tracks.
No, I tried a different copy of the disk and it has the same problem. It appears to be a coding problem. It seemed to play OK, when I viewed the DVD with my Momitsu V880 deck, but nothing works when I try to rip it. Always breaks on VTS_01_4.VOB

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
slysoft anydvd ripper ftw! it gets whatever dvd that fails with other rippers for me. but generally dvd decrypter works

So far, nothing works, doesn't make any difference if anydvd is installed and running or not. Last night I tried DVDDecrypter and it stalled at 47% for over an hour. I would have let it run all night but I was doing some other work on the computer and had a lockup, so I'm trying from scratch again today. Maybe if I let it run for several hours it will finally make it through the problem file. DVDDecrypter has an ignore errors mode, so it's possible it will slog its way through the errors and come up with a playable rip.

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've had problems getting things to rip even with Anydvd running, however if you use the rip feature from Anydvd directly it always seems to work. Right click on the anydvd icon in the task bar and pick copy to HD or whatever the option is.

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: Muse
DVDDecrypter reported an I/O error. Unrecoverable read error. However, there's an interesting thing. I was given an option to "Ignore" the error, and I did. I guess it's possible I will be able to play the resulting rip. Wonder if I can run DVDShrink against the DVDDecrypter rip to shrink it down to a DVD+R.

You need to change the IO settings to ElbyCDIO if you're going to use Decrypter w/ anydvd

SoundTheSurrender

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
try a different dvd(like another movie, not the same one), if it comes up on that, you may have problems physically with the dvd drive.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: djmihow
try a different dvd(like another movie, not the same one), if it comes up on that, you may have problems physically with the dvd drive.

I'm downloading it as I speak. DVDDecrypter, after it got to the problem portion of the 800 k file it's having trouble with, has decoded only about 6 k in the last 10 hours or so (it shows 47% completion for the last 10 hours)! It has about 150 k to go. I figure it could be past the problem point any second, but maybe not. I can't imagine what would slow it down so much. The worst part of it is that my machine has slowed to a crawl for just about every computing function. This although CPU usage shows at under 50%, and memory usage is around 70%. The machine is Beauty in my sig.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: tw1164

You need to change the IO settings to ElbyCDIO if you're going to use Decrypter w/ anydvd
How do you do that? In the preferences for DVDDecrypter?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: DayLaPaul
Have you tried DVDFab Decrypter? It's what I use for stubborn stains.
OMG, it seems to be working. I walked away from the box, expecting to come back and see the program choking on the problem file, but I just came back and it seems to have gone right through the problem file and is working on the others. Maybe it is some kind of encryption. But isn't it weird that the ripping programs always have problems with a particular file? Is the encryption set up like that?

Originally posted by: djmihow

I've been ripping other DVD's, no problem. It's just this one (and another copy of it) that has given me this problem.

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999

Yep, I think its on the IO tab

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Yep, I think its on the IO tab
What I see on here is this only for I/O settings.

File I/O settings:

Enable overlapped I/O - this may increase ripping performance. (this is unchecked by default)

Read 32KB blocks (default is 64KB). (this is unchecked by default)

Check RPC2 drive region code when opening a DVD. (this is checked by default)