Problem Fixed! GF2 GTS locking up Win98SE

SaidiaDude

Nov 6, 2001
Experiencing a strange prob: Just installed a GF2 GTS (VisionTek) on a SE440BX board
(350MHz, 384MB) with Win98SE. Accidently clicked on 23.11 exe while prev GR card was
in there (generic PCI). The install aborted with error (Nvidia GR card not found) after doing
various things. Upon reboot, the system hung. Went into safe mode, uninstalled the 23.11,
installed the HW and rebooted. Hung again. Safe mode comes up. If I run in "Step by Step conf",
it comes up fine, but the HD crunches a lot (for 30 seconds or more) after the msmouse.vxd
is launched. Uninstalled and re-installed 23.11, same prob. Uninstalled 23.11 and installed 21.83,
same prob. Have removed all HW (except for HD) and retried, but have same prob.
Any ideas (short of re-installing Windows again)?

Sigh.

Edit: See below for how the prob was fixed.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Boot to safe mode and remove all video drivers. Make sure Standard VGA drivers are selected. Run RegEdit and remove mention of any video drivers (do this at your own risk if your registry isn't backed up). Reboot and Windows should try to find the video drivers. Point in the right direction.

SaidiaDude

Nov 6, 2001

<< Boot to safe mode and remove all video drivers. Make sure Standard VGA drivers are selected. Run RegEdit and remove mention of any video drivers (do this at your own risk if your registry isn't backed up). Reboot and Windows should try to find the video drivers. Point in the right direction. >>

Tried this - how exactly does one remove all mention of any video drivers?
There's lots of crap in the registry (am using Regedit - what else can I use?).
How does one know what entries refer to the video drivers?

Also tried a utility from Guru3d.com - detonator destroyer
that I assume does something similar. No improvement :-(

KGB

Diamond Member
May 11, 2000
Better yet, just restore a previous version of your registry.
At the start-up menu select "Command Prompt Only".
At the prompt, enter "scanreg \restore" (make sure you have a space between the g and the \).
It might be a "/"
You will be presented with a list of previous copies of your registry by dates.
Select one from BEFORE you hosed your drivers and restore it.

Slikkster

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
If all else fails, I'd delete the "Enum" key in your registry. This will cause Windows to re-detect all your hardware, while at the sametime, removing any bogus hardware entries (in the Enum section) you might have in there without having to track them down manually.

Note: Make sure you have all your latest drivers handy before you do this, as you may be prompted to reinstall them. Additionally, make sure you have a copy of a Win98 Boot Disk (with CDROM support) on hand, just to be safe. Of course, if it makes you feel safer, make a backup of your registry before proceeding.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum is the key. Delete the entire key. Windows will recreate the key, and immediately redetect ALL your hardware upon reboot. None of your programs/settings will be affected.

SaidiaDude

Nov 6, 2001
Problem Fixed! Many thx to all who replied.

Downloaded the latest chipset drivers from Intel for the 440BX motherboard/chipset
and that fixed everything! Had spent over 40 hours on this stupid problem before
stumbling across the fix. In case anyone is interested, the drivers are at:

http://developer.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/inf.htm

Also, I used the Nvidia 21.83 Detonator drivers (stayed away from the 23.11 as
there were some negative posts about them).