Problem connecting notebook to router via. wireless

Jinru

Feb 6, 2006
My sister just purchased a Sony Vaio notebook, problem is after typing the security key it says it won't connect. I can connect by ethernet cable, but not through wireless. I suspect it's a router problem, because when I try to connect to my neighbors network I get a "Incorrect password please try again," but on mine it just says "Cannot Connect".

I have three computers connected to this router. Two by wireless (both sisters) and one by ethernet (me). So it's strange for my sisters computer to be connected but not the notebook.

router spec: Linksys WRT54G V3 with Firmware Version : v4.70.6 - HyperWRT 2.1b1 + Thibor11

If theres anything else you need to know just ask. Thanks for your time.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
it depends on what you set up with Linksys wireless security did you use WEP (bad one) or WPA (the best one) I am sure everybody would recommand using WPA PSK for your Linksys WRT54G router and make sure other laptop use WPA PSK..must have same passphase/password.
If it uses WEP then it is not going to work with WPA you need WEP same true for WPA not working with WEP.....

If I am not good at explaining to you I am sure so called MVP (Jack) will be able to help you better than me.

Good Luck

FLegman

Jul 26, 2007
What OS is running on that particular Notebook ? Vista or Xp ? Vista comes with built in wireless configuration application which im not sure you can replace. Meaning that you will have to use that built in software to configure your wireless settings. If it is XP then you can either use the built in XP wireless application or download am much better application from the website of the manufacturer of your wireless card.
After sorting out those details, you can proceed as Rottie recommended:
1.>> From your linksys management console go to Wireless tab >>Basic Wireless Settings and make sure that Wireless is enabled and give a name to that Network (SSID)
2.>>Go to the next tab Wireless Security and choose the type of Encryption you will like to use WEP, WPA, WPA2... and then put the key you created for such use (note that depending on the encryption type, the key length varies)

When the router has been properly set with the wireless infos, you can then try to connect to it with your notebook.

Good Luck

Jinru

Feb 6, 2006
I'm using WPA2 PSK. I've tried disconnecting both my sisters wireless and reentering the passkey, both got on, but the damn notebook still says can't connect!

Edit: the vaio comes with a preinstalled Vista Home.

FLegman

Jul 26, 2007
Check Vista site or the manufacturer of the wireless card site for an update of the software.
And make sure you have the entire Vista system up to date.

Jinru

Feb 6, 2006
I checked for updates on the Vaio and everything was up to date so I flashed my routers firmware to the latest version and it finally connected :D. thanks for the help guys.