Problem accessing a web site

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by NetGuySC, Feb 23, 2013.

1. NetGuySC

NetGuySC Golden Member

My nephew from South Korea is staying with my family. We live in South Carolina and have a Time Warner cable internet connection and I average about a 12-14 meg connection.

Mu sister in law enrolled him in a online TOEFL video training class. When he tries to view the video on my computer running Windows 7 64 bit on my home wifi using the Google Chrome or IE9 browser; it constantly buffers and is not viewable. The same result if he uses my laptop running Win 7 32 bit on my home wifi.

If he uses my Razr Maxx smartphone that is on my home wifi; while using the android chrome browser, he can view the videos with ease.

I thought it might possible be a proxy location issue since the TOEFL seems to be korean based, so I tried an anonymous Korean proxy to connect and nothing changed.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how he can watch these videos on a computer?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Problem accessing site Forum Date
    Problem remote accessing service on a server Operating Systems May 20, 2008
    Add/Remove Program Access Problem, Please Help Operating Systems Jan 27, 2007
    Long Path Names leading to file access problems??? Operating Systems Jan 10, 2007
    Vista problem cant not access Control Panel Operating Systems Jan 9, 2007
    Problem Accessing secure site from a WinXP client Operating Systems Dec 27, 2002

3. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

No idea. Maybe try spoofing the user agent on the desktop browser(Chrome) to match the mobile. That shouldn't do anything, but I can't imagine why the mobile version works, and the desktop doesn't.

4. NetGuySC

NetGuySC Golden Member

I just tried a spoofing agent on my chrome browser, it didn't work either. Thanks much for the suggestion though.

5. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Could it be a Flash issue? Since mobile doesn't use Flash, perhaps html5 works properly as a fallback. Try disabling the Flash plugin.

6. NetGuySC

NetGuySC Golden Member

great idea, tried it and it didn't work.

7. zCypher

zCypher Diamond Member

All devices tested so far have been wifi? The phone working better tells me very little, it could be receiving a lower bitrate version of the feed, or the wifi on the phone could be better for whatever reason (even if that seems unlikely). Test a wired connection rule out wifi issue.

If the same in wifi, do your speedtest.net results indicate normal speeds at the time of the issue?

Can you run a ping and traceroute from command prompt to the website you're trying to reach to see if any loss happening there?