Probably going to buy a dell couple questions

Shaum

Jan 1, 2005
My moms been bugging me lately wanting to use my computer (we can't have that) so I figured I would buy her one of those cheap dells I saw on tv. I don't really want to spend more then 500$. She would use it for email just regular everyday stuff no games or anything. First question which printer should I get? printers The 720 is free the other ones add on a little more but I wanted to get one of the all-in-one printers but not sure which one to get. Is bumping the cpu up to a 2.6 from a 2.4 going to make any real difference? She won't be installing much so a 40gb HD should be enough correct? Should I get a extrended warranty? Heres a link to the computer so fardell

socket

Nov 22, 2004
the dell printers are made by lexmark all i've ever used and will ever use is HP there the number one printer sales company out there for email and general web surfing the celeron 2.4 will do just fine dont waste money getting the 2.6 my parents have the 2.4 and its plenty fast for general computer use. also she'll never fill up a 40 gig HD from what you have described

Mar 20, 2005
boost the hard drive it shouldn't be that much more, only because 40gb really isn't a full 40, and dell like all other off-the-shelf boxes are stuffed with sooo much marketing crap & fluff, that 40 will be closer to 30-32gb (that's being generous)... plus prepare for maybe a few pictures in the future she might start storing of all the kids, grandkids, dogs, cats, john kerry (yikes)... & remote possibility of music like the dead kennedys, cramps, southern culture on the skids, rocket from the crypt, that kind of stuff.....

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Cel 2.4 is fine, 40 GB is fine. If she takes photos or creates other documents then CD bunring would be nice.

Dell printer = slave to Dell ink or toner, can't run to Office Depot to pick one up.

If she doesn't need color then a Samsung laser printer for under $100 is a good choice (try Advanced Search > "laser" of Hot Deals forum)