Probably a "newb" overclocking question

Bard09

May 23, 2001
Okay, I'm running an unlocked Athlon XP 1800+ at 1642 MHZ (142 FSB) right now, with my 512 MB Crucial 2100 DDR at CAS 2 on my Epox 8KHA+ motherboard. I'm using a Millenium Glaciator II cooler on the CPU, and I have 4 80mm case fans in my Antec SX-840 case.

Whew. Anyways, the idle temps reported to my computer most of the time are around 19-20 C for the case and 28-29 C for the CPU. I haven't tested my load temps yet... still having trouble logging with Motherboard Moniter.

Anyways, last night I was actually at 144 FSB. Windows XP Home booted just fine, except the scroll bar in the beginning started to slow down instead of flawlessly going along like it did at 133 FSB. Ran the Sandra Burn in test for about 2 hours... the whole thing was working fine... but then upon restarting I got a STOP error or something going into Win XP home!

Going down to 142 FSB did the trick, but the little scroll bar upon XP bootup still lags a bit, but it doesn't give me the STOP error.

When I get the error, is my system going out of spec? Or is it Win XP acting stupid? I think I could get a lot more out of my Athlon if the temperatures are as good as my system is telling me. What do you all reccomend? Is there a way to push further? Or should I stay where I am?

Thanks!

Dimitri

Nov 21, 2001
Same type of things happen to me. I do a dual boot with WinXP and Win2k and my experience has been that XP craps out on bootup before Win2K does. Maybe the HDD doesn't like the pci speed that high?