Pro-Trump News Outlet One America News Mostly Funded By AT&T

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Interesting testimony by the OAN founder...
Robert Herring Sr., the 80-year-old founder of OAN who made his fortune in the circuit board industry, testified in a 2019 legal deposition that the decision to launch the network in 2013 was prompted by AT&T. “They told us they wanted a conservative network,” Herring said, according to the report. “They only had one, which was Fox News, and they had seven others on the other [left-wing] side. When they said that, I jumped to it and built one.”

Pro-Trump News Outlet One America News Mostly Funded By AT&T – Report (msn.com)

Reactions: Leeea

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I doubt it was everyone at AT&T. Probably the top management and board members.

Just as in the days before bankruptcies and mega-mergers, newspaper publishers tended to be Republican.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
So AT&T is directly to blame for abomination that was and is 45?
No, all the media outlets were falling all over themselves to give him coverage in the run up to the election, and OAN didn't really start to rise to prominence until after he'd won (AFAIK).

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
IMO anything remotely in support of Trumpism is directly responsible for the 45 and its aftermath. OANN is amongst others what keeps Fox to the batshit insane, its all connected. Donate to Neo Fascist arrangement and you’ve earned yourself that marker they used in Inglorious Basterds… in my perfect world anyway.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Just reinforces my belief that AT&T can eat a bag of dicks.

Agreed. I just got done with a couple cases with them, after 15 years I'll be slowly moving to Verizon....me first. They're quite a piece of work.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Wtf!? ... So .... what it ATT’s interest in fucking up America? .. Why would they fund something like this, unless they figure that they can ride the whirlwind and somehow come out on top in the future world of fascism? Is it revenge for the divestiture forced on them in 1984?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Wtf!? ... So .... what it ATT’s interest in fucking up America? .. Why would they fund something like this, unless they figure that they can ride the whirlwind and somehow come out on top in the future world of fascism? Is it revenge for the divestiture forced on them in 1984?
GQP absolutely loves giving corporations more money and power, pretty simple.

Reactions: hal2kilo

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Money in some way? I don't think OAN makes any money though. I don't know.

Also, can't wait to see what John Oliver has to say, he loves shit talking his corporate daddy ATT, and hopefully this will be particularly brutal as HBO is leaving ATT I believe.

Last edited:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Hardly surprising, considering that channel is bundled in every single package they offer. Part of the reason (a small part) edgy I stopped paying for their dumb TV service and switched to YouTube TV.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Just called AT&T to talk about cancellation. Would just have to finish paying off my Pixel 5, about $480. I could unlock it and sell it on Swappa for close to the same. No other fees.

When Verizon or T Mobile gets the Google Pixel 6 pro in stock I will switch carriers. Prefer T Mobile but Verizon has better service in NJ.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Just called AT&T to talk about cancellation. Would just have to finish paying off my Pixel 5, about $480. I could unlock it and sell it on Swappa for close to the same. No other fees.

When Verizon or T Mobile gets the Google Pixel 6 pro in stock I will switch carriers. Prefer T Mobile but Verizon has better service in NJ.

Yeah it sucks, because there’s no way I’d give up AT&T fiber (which is the only true gigabit option at home.) I was actually looking to switch 10 lines from Verizon Wireless to AT&T and put the pause on the switch, but I’ll likely still switch over.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah it sucks, because there’s no way I’d give up AT&T fiber (which is the only true gigabit option at home.) I was actually looking to switch 10 lines from Verizon Wireless to AT&T and put the pause on the switch, but I’ll likely still switch over.

I posted my situation on a subreddit for a location near me to see about coverage between T Mobile and Verizon. Maybe 10 people responded, out of them 3 said they or their families had all just left AT&T for the same reason. It was encouraging.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
I was thinking of switching to AT&T but this news has prompted me to end that though outright.

Reactions: cytg111

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I was thinking of switching to AT&T but this news has prompted me to end that though outright.
Nice

I spoke to my mom, she will definitely leave them when she gets back from the Mediterranean.

My sister and brother in law are thinking about it too.