Pro-Obama neocon Hatch pushed into runoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
img_0441.jpg

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Utterly foolish to call Orrin Hatch pro-Obama, he's as conservative as they come. His "sin" is that he is not a flamethrower and not irrational -like all the birthers, dogmeat eaters, etc. I disagree with him on almost every policy issue but recognize him as one of the very few voices of civility remaining on the GOP side of the isle.

Objectively I think most unbiased commentators would count this as a lose for the teapartiers as it was their goal to pack the convention so much that Hatch wouldn't get the necessary 40% to qualify for the GOP primary.

Personally I kind of wish the teabaggers won, so they could nominate someone like "I am not a witch" or "pay for your doctor with chickens" and thus throw another easy GOP seat to the Democrats.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Wrong. He voted for the bailouts, he supports the wars, and he was not endorsed by the Gun Owners of America. He's voted in favor the PATRIOT Act and a whole lot of other shit.

Luckily there are more than two spots on the political spectrum.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I understand anarchist420 is somewhat incapable of understanding it, but if the GOP runs too far to the zany right, they will lose too many GOP moderate voters to the democrats while energizing the democrats.

Which translates into a much higher probability of the GOP losing a Senate seat in November.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I understand anarchist420 is somewhat incapable of understanding it, but if the GOP runs too far to the zany right, they will lose too many GOP moderate voters to the democrats while energizing the democrats.

Which translates into a much higher probability of the GOP losing a Senate seat in November.

And that's not really a theoretical problem either. There is a pretty convincing argument that had the GOP not run far-right people like Christine O'Donnell and Sharron Angle in 2010, they'd have two more senate seats right now.

Anecdotes aren't evidence, of course, but among my circle of friends, the Republicans among the group are not all happy with the far-right course it seems like the GOP is intent on plotting. They don't like Obama or the Democrats all that much, but the Republicans aren't presenting them with a very good alternative.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Orrin Hatch is from Utah. There is no danger of Republicans losing that seat no matter who runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.