Pro Evo Soccer 2008

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
This game is awesome. The demo really made my jaw hit the floor, and the full thing is even better. The commentary is finally catching up to FIFA standards, although they did repeat one line 3 times in a match, which was a little disappointing. Graphics are outstanding, animations are even better, ball physics are kind of meh. From all I've read, replacing the generic kits with authentic ones will be a snap, and hopefully the Master League mode will rival the depth of FIFAs (this is my first real go with a PES title). Only complaint is that I wish you could adjust the draw distance of the grass a bit more. Well that, and the whole swapping button assignments for offense changes the corresponding buttons for defense thing :|

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
Er, that last bit didn't apply to previous versions of the game. Are you sure?

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
it only seems to be certain keybinds, not all, but it's still driving me nuts. i'm trying to replicate my fifa controls, but can't yet because of this. did it in the demo, as well.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Not to derail the thread, but how does this game play compared to Fifa 07/08? I had Winning Eleven for the original xbox (can't remember if it was WE7) and liked it. I downloaded the trial for the 360 and was overcome by all the key combination options for special moves, etc. Gameplay is very nice, though Fifa seems to be catching up a bit. I'm still a sucker for the more realistic atmosphere, leagues, etc of Fifa versus PES/WE.

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
Are you talking about Fifa 07/08 for the PC? If so, those games are essentially the PS2 versions, and look and play nothing like the 360 version. PES 2008 is more about methodical plays, possession, good passes creating openings, etc...Fifa 07 on the PC was all about fast breaks and unrealistic speed. Fifa 08 on the PC...well...I only played about 3 matches before giving up on it.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
FIFA 08 is the King!!

:D

Call me a FIFA Fanboy, I don't care because I am.

FIFA 08 is the BEST!!

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
Have you tried the PES demo this year? I've been a FIFA fanboy since 1997 (wow, i guess it's really been 10 years now), but this iteration of PES is really blowing me away!

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
I've gotta get my hands on PES 2008, konami is being a b!tch and won't give us a review example for whatever silly reason. I totally dislike fifa 08 this year. I don't know man, some things don't work like I want them to. Why can I not score when I'm going 1 on 1 against the goalie, and just hit the ball with decent speed? Or if I try it with a 'placed' shot the goalie will still catch the ball. Why is it nearly impossible to score from 16m with a good shot? Why is it really hard to sprint, then stop, so sudden that the defender loses you? Don't know the terms in English, hope ya know what I mean. And to often the players act ridiculous, not using the space they should use. And the referee, wtf is up with him? He will walk somewhere, act weird, and walk away again? Besides, fifa 08 doesn't run that smooth in Vista, it does in XP though. And they added professional mode, can you say STOLEN from pes ?

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ZappDogg
Are you talking about Fifa 07/08 for the PC? If so, those games are essentially the PS2 versions, and look and play nothing like the 360 version. PES 2008 is more about methodical plays, possession, good passes creating openings, etc...Fifa 07 on the PC was all about fast breaks and unrealistic speed. Fifa 08 on the PC...well...I only played about 3 matches before giving up on it.

I played Fifa 07 on the PC before getting it for the 360, but other than the demo for PES/WE that was available a while ago on Live, I haven't played a "next-gen" version of the game. Maybe I'll check hollywood video to see if they have it for rent (I got 12 free rentals when I bought my Wii at gamecrazy, and so far have only used one).

Having grown up playing soccer in real life since I was 8 or so, I love a game that plays with realistic strategy and tactics, something you'd see watching the EPL on TV and such.I know the PES/WE version I had for the original xbox ('05 or '06), had much better gameplay than Fifa '05 and World Cup '06 I had from EA. I just wish the exclusive license that EA has with FIFPRO would run out already so PES/WE would get all the players, leagues, stadiums and trophies/competitions.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
I've gotta get my hands on PES 2008, konami is being a b!tch and won't give us a review example for whatever silly reason. I totally dislike fifa 08 this year. I don't know man, some things don't work like I want them to. Why can I not score when I'm going 1 on 1 against the goalie, and just hit the ball with decent speed? Or if I try it with a 'placed' shot the goalie will still catch the ball. Why is it nearly impossible to score from 16m with a good shot? Why is it really hard to sprint, then stop, so sudden that the defender loses you? Don't know the terms in English, hope ya know what I mean. And to often the players act ridiculous, not using the space they should use. And the referee, wtf is up with him? He will walk somewhere, act weird, and walk away again? Besides, fifa 08 doesn't run that smooth in Vista, it does in XP though. And they added professional mode, can you say STOLEN from pes ?

I wasn't a huge fan of the Fifa '08 demo on the 360. It felt too much like '07 (I know, I know...it's EA after all), but usually the Fifa series changes enough from year to year for my tastes. I didn't get the ball fakes down in the demo, but they looked nifty in the opening video.

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
If you have an x64 O/S with 4gb of RAM, you'll need to download Kitserver 7 to unlock the graphic options. PES 2008 doesn't recognize 4gb (GG Konami), and detects your computer as being too weak to run it.

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
Anyone else still playing this? I'm about done with my first season in Master League, and moving up to Div-1. I'd love to be able to learn how to dive...haven't been able to pull it off yet.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
sorry zappdogg, I've been to busy playing PES to read your thread. accept my apologies.

Diving is R2+L1+L2 (using stock controls). I play with a PS2 controller on my PC, and I run the game at 2560x1600 with maximum LOD using Kitserver 7

I also patched the .img files with all the official Premiere League and Budensliga kits, and I also have an option file that fixes all the names.

I'm having a ball. I looove taking free kicks with Pirlo, omg.

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
what is the sequence for diving? do you have to press the buttons in that order?

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
all together at the same time. be careful its very hard to time it correctly, most of the time you get a nice yellow card.

RS8

Oct 14, 2007
Hated this years PES on PC. It felt like EA was behind the game, just throwing up a simple update without doing anything mindblowingly new.

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
Considering EA didn't change the commentary, graphics, or much else of anything (beyond breaking the passing game) in this year's FIFA, PES was a welcome refreshment.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I'm getting diminishing marginal utility from PES. I played PES5 daily. PES6 still a lot, but didn't like it as much. This year I just couldn't get into it. Maybe b/c there's so many other awesome games just released that I don't want to spend too much time playing PES.