Pro choice or pro life? With poll

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abortion

• Pro life

• Pro choice

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Ack I voted pro life lol is there a way to edit polls? Anyway I am also adamant about being pro choice.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Sorry, can't let this slide. You are regurgitating talking points without question. Are you really this naive? What services does PP provide other than abortions? And if the feds give money to PP what controls are in place to make sure that the money does not go to abortions? Do you really believe that the millions of abortions PP has performed were paid for by the women that had them? My god man, try not to appear this ignorant.

http://liveactionnews.org/women-calling-planned-parenthood-finding-theres-no-prenatal-care/

No prenatal care, no mammograms. Birth control and abortions, that pretty much covers it. Watch the video to see Cecile Richards telling lie after lie after lie.

Now that I've said that I am also in agreement with imported_tajmahal in post #2. I might go a bit further and state that I have real issues with women using abortion as a means of birth control. Cutting off funding to PP should remedy that rather quickly though.

Live action news is a a front for a PRO LIFE organization. You won't get any unbiased information there.

WHO WE ARE:
Live Action News is the publishing arm of Live Action. Live Action is an organization dedicated to building a culture of life and advancing human rights. Live Action uses powerful and dynamic media platforms to educate the public about the humanity of the preborn and investigative journalism to expose the threats against the vulnerable and defenseless.

Here is all their recent stories.

TRENDING STORIES

That's it, all anti abortion propaganda got any place else?

Last edited:

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Whomever allowed this wedge issue to be framed as

Pro-Life

vs

Pro-Choice

was/is a genius. How can one be pro-life and pro-choice? Isn't everyone pro-life? I can't imagine someone being anti-life.

I'm pro-life, and I'm also pro-choice. I am certainly not anti-choice.

This is an issue that should be framed as pro-choice/anti-choice.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Sorry, can't let this slide.
you really should have, because:

You are regurgitating talking points without question. Are you really this naive? What services does PP provide other than abortions?

that is horribly ignorant. I mean, it takes you like 2 minutes to actually inform yourself. Post-fact world and all, I know, but something tells me you have been dug into your alt-reality for at least 10, 20 years by now. So sad. Why do you choose ignorance? Why do you choose to base your issues on demonstrably false accounts? LoL--anyone that wants to de-fund PP must really love abortions, because that is what will happen. That's a fact.

You should join the super pro-abortion club, whenever it starts up, with all of you PP de-funders. Probably won't be a popular club, but that's where you belong.

Reactions: MongGrel

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
you really should have, because:

that is horribly ignorant. I mean, it takes you like 2 minutes to actually inform yourself. Post-fact world and all, I know, but something tells me you have been dug into your alt-reality for at least 10, 20 years by now. So sad. Why do you choose ignorance? Why do you choose to base your issues on demonstrably false accounts? LoL--anyone that wants to de-fund PP must really love abortions, because that is what will happen. That's a fact.

You should join the super pro-abortion club, whenever it starts up, with all of you PP de-funders. Probably won't be a popular club, but that's where you belong.

That is indoctrination for you. I went through it myself with my fundie family. In the right, Planned Parenthood is outright evil. They are loathed more than even gays by conservatives. They have been stripped of their humanity over decades of propaganda and there is absolutely no way they can be rehabilitated. The right needs an enemy and Planned Parenthood has been selected.

My wife and I used planned parenthood for our first child. They are incredibly helpful to first time parents. I don't know if there is even an alternative to planned parenthood for family planning.

Reactions: Thebobo

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
If you decide to have a kid and the fetus dies before being born are you responsible?

No. That is a stupid question.

Personal responsibility and good public policy are not mutually exclusive.

I'm for both

So am I.

How is getting an abortion and preventing decades of future issues not taking personal responsibility? That's be like saying if you clogged the toilet in your house, you shouldn't be allowed to fix it for 18 years to show you took personal responsibility for the clog.

So when you say "pro-personal responsibility" your are actually saying "pro-punishment of child and mother due to her daring to have sex." Then you take no personal responsibility for your decision to force her to have the punishment child.

I'm OK with pro choice within reason. I am against late term abortions, partial birth abortions etc. I am against abortion being used as a birth control method. If you want to have sex without babies use birth control that you provide for yourself. If you are too stupid to use birth control and get pregnant, then wait until too late to get an abortion there are plenty of people that really want a child. Give it up for someone that is responsible enough to raise a child.

No punishment found.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
graphusabrate.gif

Abortions reduced more under "pro-choice" Clinton and Obama reduced abortions more than "pro-life" Reagan and Bush's.
If you want to reduce abortions, the answer is to improve the economy, which means electing Democrats.

Reactions: Thebobo

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
No. That is a stupid question.

Why , never heard of abstinence? Or did someone hold a gun to your head and make you have sex?

So why are you not responsible for reckless endangerment leading to the death of your "baby".

A woman having an abortion has about a 99+% chance of "killling a single baby" according to pro-lifers such as yourself. You on the other hand have a 50% chance that the fetus excuse me "baby" "dies" before reaching birth every time you try and have a child

Lots a dead kids following prolife logic.

Seems like you want to hold others responsible but not yourself.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
graphusabrate.gif

Abortions reduced more under "pro-choice" Clinton and Obama reduced abortions more than "pro-life" Reagan and Bush's.
If you want to reduce abortions, the answer is to improve the economy, which means electing Democrats.
Obviously, but it's not about ending abortion. It's about punishing other for sex. Hence all the talk about others taking responsibility for their actions while taking none themselves.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'm OK with pro choice within reason. I am against late term abortions, partial birth abortions etc. I am against abortion being used as a birth control method. If you want to have sex without babies use birth control that you provide for yourself. If you are too stupid to use birth control and get pregnant, then wait until too late to get an abortion there are plenty of people that really want a child. Give it up for someone that is responsible enough to raise a child.

No punishment found.

Okay, I understand. That is a reasonable point of view. I misunderstood what you meant by personal responsibility, since that is often a line from pro-lifers.

I personally wish the barriers to getting non-condom BC were lowered and BC made cheaper. I think Obamacare has done a decent job in this regard, but could be better like making the pill over the counter, or allowing a pharmacist the ability to help pick one for a patient. I also think medicaid should provide good forms of BC from a good business stand point.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Why , never heard of abstinence? Or did someone hold a gun to your head and make you have sex?

So why are you not responsible for reckless endangerment leading to the death of your "baby".

A woman having an abortion has about a 99+% chance of "killling a single baby" according to pro-lifers such as yourself. You on the other hand have a 50% chance that the fetus excuse me "baby" "dies" before reaching birth every time you try and have a child

This comment you just made deserves no response.

That has to be one of the most fucked up analysis that I have ever read.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Republicans tried abstinence only policies. Want to guess their success rate? Ever heard of Bristol Palin?

Reactions: soundforbjt

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
This comment you just made deserves no response.

That has to be one of the most fucked up analysis that I have ever read.
It's almost like treating a fetus the exact same as a baby doesn't make sense.

Going back and reading your post again, maybe I was being to harsh but seriously if prolifers are going to treat every zygote as a baby then every natural spontaneous abortion from conception on is a dead child following that logic.

You can't say a 10 week fetus aborted is a dead baby while a fetus 10 week fetus spontaneously aborted isn't because.. we'll just because.

Don't believe me? Texas passed a law that was to go in effect back in December that required the remains of every abortion medical or natural to be buried or cremated after a heartbeat could have been detected - about 6 weeks. This was stated to give dignity to the unborn by treating them as babies. They want to treat what would be a slightly late slightly heavy period as a dead child

As father of three I take exception to idea that trying to have a child results in dead children over 50% of the time.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Imagine a poor Bristol Palin who doesn't have a mom who can bilk $ out of conservatives. State winds up supporting. But with provided birth control you don't doom a child to poverty and the girl has a change for a life. Better for everyone all around

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Imagine a poor Bristol Palin who doesn't have a mom who can bilk $ out of conservatives. State winds up supporting. But with provided birth control you don't doom a child to poverty and the girl has a change for a life. Better for everyone all around

There is birth control available to all now without the taxpayer having to foot the bill.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
There is birth control available to all now without the taxpayer having to foot the bill.

You ought to update your idea of a lot of things these days.

Wearing a government issued rubber while banging a hammer in Subic Bay has not been a thing from for many decades.

I imagine you like formaldehyde in your beer also.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

Wearing a government issued rubber while banging a hammer in Subic Bay has not been a thing from for many decades.

LOL at the Subic Bay!

I remember the corpsman handing them out on the pier when going on liberty in many ports. Formaldehyde makes for too bad of a hangover.

A rubber beats nothing when you can't afford the fancy stuff or the child.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Breast exams. Cervical cancer screening. Pregnancy tests and option consultation. STD tests and treatment. Sex education. Vasectomies (yes, they take care of men, too). LGBT services.

Also, remember that PP is primarily private-funded. In 2014, only $528 million of the organization's $1.3 billion in revenue came from the government; it doesn't need government money to perform abortions, and it's already legally restricted from using those funds to that end. Cutting off government funding likely wouldn't stop abortions; however, it would hurt services across the board. And just because a woman didn't pay for an abortion out of her own pocket doesn't mean it was government-funded.

Also in 2014: out of 9.5 million total services performed, there were 324,000 abortions. Abortion not only isn't the majority of what it does, it's a tiny number.

What's that, you say? An anti-abortion website lied to you to push its agenda? Color me shocked.
Video by O'Keefe...nuff said.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

LOL at the Subic Bay!
A rubber beats nothing when you can't afford the fancy stuff or the child.

As the Fugs would say: After the Prom and I ain't got no scumbag, saran wrap, saran rap.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I personally wish the barriers to getting non-condom BC were lowered and BC made cheaper. I think Obamacare has done a decent job in this regard, but could be better like making the pill over the counter, or allowing a pharmacist the ability to help pick one for a patient. I also think medicaid should provide good forms of BC from a good business stand point.

If pro-life people want to get rid of almost all abortions they should be pro-contraception instead of trying to cut it everywhere possible.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

No punishment found.

You should donate to PP, because that is pretty much their mission: preventing unwanted, unsustainable pregnancies.

Their mission, Family Planning actually means family planning. It is not a euphemism for sucking out fetuses like so many right-wingers seem to believe. Abortion services account for something like 10% or less of their actual services, and further: PP is the number 1 entity in the country that is responsible for preventing abortions.