private social clubs.... old-world anachronisms, or still worthwhile?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4644
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4644

so.. I was just sponsored and seconded for one of the top 5 private social clubs in the U.S. My grampa has been a member for about 40 years (since they started letting Italians in).

Is anyone here a member of private city or country club? Do you find it rewarding? Did you have to pay a lot to join? (This membership would be surprisingly cheap..)

Would you rather go to a formal social club with wood panels and gold leaf with a few friends.... or would you spend the same amount for bottle/table service at a flashy LA/Vegas night spot?

I kind of laugh when I hear people here in LA talk about "exclusive" night spots, because I think "hmm that spot doesn't require a sponsor and 6 seconders...." but maybe I am just an old fogey trapped in a young man's body?

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
I belong to two through my gf's fathers family. I prefer going there for intellectual talk (politics, social issues ect) as the quality of the conversation seems much higher. I would prefer night clubs though for fun though.

D

Deleted member 4644

Richard, how old were you when you joined? Did you find you made friends with the members though casual social contacts with them at the club, or did you already know them?

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Deleted member 4644
Richard, how old were you when you joined? Did you find you made friends with the members though casual social contacts with them at the club, or did you already know them?

20 when I joined. I knew 2 other members through political functions (Not including the ones I met through her father). I'm 22 now.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Nope. Would never interest me.

I kind of laugh when I hear people here in LA talk about "exclusive" night spots, because I think "hmm that spot doesn't require a sponsor and 6 seconders...." but maybe I am just an old fogey trapped in a young man's body?

And I laugh at people that laugh at them.

I wouldn't spend the money on bottle/table service either. Having more money doesn't make make me want to show it off.

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
Do you really want to be associated with a tree house club that would formerly have turned you and your family down based on your ethnicity as recent as 40 years ago?

Exclusive clubs sound boring. What's the point? To feel aristocratic? If you are looking for enlightened discussions then I'm sure you could find smart people who don't need secret member cards.

Then again someone studying for law would likely get their rocks off on this kind of thing and you'd find many of your ilk there (aka networking). Is this really a rhetorical question? ;)

Jack Ryan

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: TallBill

And I laugh at people that laugh at them.

I wouldn't spend the money on bottle/table service either. Having more money doesn't make make me want to show it off.

I laugh at the people laughing at people kinda laughing.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Deleted member 4644
so.. I was just sponsored and seconded for one of the top 5 private social clubs in the U.S. My grampa has been a member for about 40 years (since they started letting Italians in).

Top five by what criteria? :confused:

I kind of laugh when I hear people here in LA talk about "exclusive" night spots, because I think "hmm that spot doesn't require a sponsor and 6 seconders...."

Sounds like you're exactly the type of person who belongs in this club.

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah sure. I'd love to hang out with a bunch of old, elitist racists.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs the cave fish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscars night?
We do! We do!

rodneyxiii

May 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Wapp
Originally posted by: TallBill

Not even the American Legion or VFW?

The difference there is the American Legion and VFW he has earned.

As for the OP's question. If you value networking with people who run in that circle go for it. Having access to people who can help you bring in clients won't hurt if you're looking to make partner in a law firm.

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
Originally posted by: rodneyxiii
As for the OP's question. If you value networking with people who run in that circle go for it. Having access to people who can help you bring in clients won't hurt if you're looking to make partner in a law firm.

Join show up, make a name so people at least know you and then just use the connections til they run dry.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
i dont see the point but then again I've not been to one nor have any real understand of them. soooo.....at this point..........meh.