Private schools in GA expel GLBT students yet continue to receive state dollars

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by zsdersw, Jan 23, 2013.

1. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

Yes. They'd probably also suspect the student of being a liar about wanting to keep from sinning.

What do you mean by "the homosexual lifestyle"? "Coming out" as gay is revealing that you're attracted to the same gender. Reading anything more into it is one of the many stupid biases people have.

2. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

People like nehalem and Iron Woode just like to argue.. even if they know they're wrong.

3. nehalem256

nehalem256 Lifer

"Coming out" means that you come out as actively wanting to have sex with the same sex.

I doubt "coming out" would be applied to someone who was actively trying to avoid sinning.

In fact:
    Saying you would felt homosexual attractions, but wanted help through the Power of Jesus Christ to keep from sinning would not seem to be "promoting or participating" in immorality now would it?

#28 nehalem256, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  4. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

No, it's saying you're attracted to the same sex. It doesn't mean you actively want to have sex with the same sex.

Neither you nor they make the distinction between having homosexual attraction and "promoting or participating" in homosexuality, so I have to conclude that they would expel them too.

5. piasabird

piasabird Lifer

So is it OK to expell a rapist from a school? Who are you to tell a private school what their standards should be? Private schools have all these state requirements they have to maintain and they are not forcing anyone to attend.

If their parents are paying state and local and federal taxes, they deserve the same assistance that other public schools get.

So are you proposing taxation without representation?

#30 piasabird, Jan 23, 2013
  6. Zstream

Zstream Platinum Member

Umm why are my tax dollars going to public schools when I don't have kids or plan on sending them to private school?

7. nehalem256

nehalem256 Lifer

Actually you have zero evidence to back that up
    Quoted from you article. Do you have any evidence that these schools cannot tell the difference between participating in homosexuality and having homosexual attractions?

In fact your article does not even provide any evidence of students actually being expelled.

Perhaps LGBT students are not as dumb as you think and avoid attending schools that are opposed to homosexual behavior.

8. nehalem256

nehalem256 Lifer

The article does not discuss any instances of students being expelled. If there are none that would easily explain why there are no complaints. It seems logical that gay students would not want to attend a school that considers homosexual activity to be immoral.

EDIT: Also apparently they receive money through some kind of "tax credit" program. So it is entirely possible that the schools do not directly receive funds from the state. And that instead the parents receive a tax credit for sending their children to a private school.

9. ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z Lifer

Regardless of religion, I don't believe that public funds should be used for any private schools.

10. WHAMPOM

WHAMPOM Diamond Member

Expell any student that supports gay rights. Providence Christian Academy says they do. You did read the source you used?

11. WHAMPOM

WHAMPOM Diamond Member

You are arguing semantics with a troll, stop it.

12. Incorruptible

Incorruptible Diamond Member

This case shows exactly why government should not be subsidizing private schools, They are private schools and there should be no tax dollars for them but they get their own rules and can discriminate against whoever they want.

13. Fern

Fern Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

First, at least to me, it's not clear that the schools are receiving any money directly from the state. See here:

Private schools are almost always set-up as non-profit. I.e., not subject to tax and therefore couldn't use a tax credit.

Perhaps it works as nehalem256 suggests; the parents get a tax credit. If so, the private schools are not receiving money directly from the state.

(Edit: If it is a tax credit for parents paying private school tuition, I think the state would have a problem excluding religious private schools. I'm sure that there are private schools that are secular (non-religious). So, the credit would have to be modified to exclude religious schools. I think the state would be sued for discrimination against religious type schools.)

While my first impulse is to oppose state funding for private schools, upon further consideration I don't have an objection. I think it's in the (local/state) govt's best interest to provide a level of incentives for those choosing private schools. It lessens the strain on the public school system. If done properly this can be a substantial financial benefit for the local govt.

I have also supported voucher programs, particularly for those stuck in crappy school districts (usual poor and/or minority students). If a tax credit granted to parents is akin to state funding for private schools, so are voucher programs.

I don't see any valid complaint.

Fern

#38 Fern, Jan 23, 2013
  14. SheHateMe

SheHateMe Diamond Member

I went to both Lutheran and Catholic schools and I am neither.

They should have kicked me out.

15. Fern

Fern Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Yeah, I went to a Baptist school and am not Baptist. But that's because I got kicked out the public schools. :)

Fern

16. zinfamous

zinfamous No Lifer

how so? plenty of gay christians out there. generally speaking, they don't tend to believe in a notion that god wants them dead, however. (that is silly, isn't it?)

17. nehalem256

nehalem256 Lifer

I imagine those gay christians are not running the schools in the article.

18. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

Yes I did... did you read my reply? Can you understand what you read?

I realize he's a troll, but no... I'll argue what I want with whomever I want.

19. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

I know all about this tax credit stuff you're talking about, but that doesn't change the fact that this program was designed to weasel out of technically being guilty of directly receiving public funds. It is still public money ending up in the pocket of private schools that discriminate in ways public entities (and entities receiving public money) are not allowed.

20. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

About the schools, perhaps, but not about you. I have absolutely no reason to believe you'd acknowledge a case of improper discrimination even if it was staring you in the face. You'd give a pass to any person or publicly-funded organization that abused or discriminated against someone because they're gay.

Why would they bother trying to figure it out when it's easier to expel them?

Perhaps, but that doesn't make it right to receive public funds.

#45 zsdersw, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  21. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

And, BTW, I don't think this should be permitted whether they're a Christian school or not. Private institutions should not receive public money if they discriminate on the basis of gender, religion, sexual orientation, or disability/handicap.

I have as much of a problem with any homosexuals-only school that receives public funds, or any atheists-only school that receives public funds, for example.

The problem with this specific program is the state matching of any money donated by parents.

22. nehalem256

nehalem256 Lifer

Well since no evidence of discrimination occurring has been provided you can make any baseless accusations you want.

Why do you assume that the schools are going to take the easy way out? Maybe if you actually had some examples of schools expelling students we would be able to determine the truth.

But since you don't...

So no discrimination is occurring, but you still don't want the schools to indirectly receive public funding.

Be honest now. What you really want to do is discriminate against people/entities that don't share your values.

23. nehalem256

nehalem256 Lifer

So you have no problem with them discriminating on other things?

Should a Jewish school be required to admit say neo-Nazi students?

24. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

I don't care what schools discriminate on as long as they don't receive public funds.

25. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

You wouldn't think there was ever any discrimination against or abuse of gay people even if evidence was plainly in sight.

And yes, there is an example of this happening: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/1239490...ally-student-expelled-being-gay/#.UQFAKR27OAg

Private schools generally don't have the time or personnel to find this out.

Directly or indirectly, especially if the indirect method was designed specifically to evade the system that prevents discrimination with public money.

I am being honest. I don't care if they share my values or not... if they receive public funding they should either not discriminate or refuse public funding.

#50 zsdersw, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013