Printing issue with Outlook 2007

Paperlantern

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2003
Looked everywhere for a solution to this but apparently i'm the only schmuck in the known universe to have this happen.

Outlook 2007 will NOT save the printing preferences properly. We have a user with a P2035n printer hooked to her machine via a USB cable. Every time she prints to it from any application other than outlook, works fine, however, every time she prints from Outlook 2007, it pops up asking please load paper in Tray 1. In the settings for the printer, there is a section that says "Paper Options", with a check box that says "Use Different paper/Covers". With that checked, you can specify different stock locations fro different pages in each print job. This is where the printer is getting its call for tray 1, because everywhere else it says tray 2. I remove the check and click ok, or i change each one to tray 2 and click OK. Doesn't matter, as soon as you click properties again, its reverted right back to tray 1, or the check box is clicked again and the settings have returned. Ive reinstalled the driver.

The setting exists in other programs, but when the settings are changed in those programs and you click OK, they stick, I'm stumped. Halp!

Paperlantern

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2003
What do you mean by "change the default options"? Hmmm, I changed the options in the printer properties itself, however as I understand it, these are overridden by application options anyway. Is there another location where "default options" are stored?

SilentRunning

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Have you tried from within outlook:

File>Page Setup>Define Print Styles

Then edit "Table Style" or "Memo Style" select "Paper" tab and set paper source.

Paperlantern

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2003
I looked at that as an option, however i believe i backed out of it because either the settings didnt seem relevant, or they were already set for either Auto, or tray 2, I will double check them though.

gd420mj

Sep 22, 2010
Thread is year old but came up second on google search today. I had problems with Outlook 2007 not printing to my default printer settings. And came up with up with half fix.

Printing to a network printer/copier, I set the printer settings to use the input tray as [Bypass Tray], so I could load my own scrap paper to print on. All programs like word, IE, excel, etc, will print to the bypass tray and other settings I created (like toner saving..etc). Outlook would not. It printed to that sepcifc printer (its default) but decided to use input tray as [Automatic Tray Select] as well as not using the other options I set.

Printer has options to create presets so I can change a bunch of things and save it as a preset, input tray, output tray, sizes, quality etc. Outlook 2007 just prints to a "unregistered" print preset, meaning it created it itself every time.

Only fix I could find was as stated above from @SiletRunning:

File>Page Setup>Define Print Styles
Then edit "Table Style" or "Memo Style" select "Paper" tab and set paper source.

Here I could select "Bypass Tray" (or Tray 1, Tray 2, Auto)(only avaible options on current printer). It now prints default from bypass tray but still not using other set defaults such as the preset I created. (THe preset was created in printer properties from start>printer faxes>....etc. )

Why does outlook 2007 change the default printer properties?

btw, printer is a RICOH Aficio MP 3351

gd420mj

Sep 22, 2010
I stand corrected about other print options. It will use all the other default print options except Input. It appears outlook 2007 will only overide the input method. So it takes my current presets and just changes the input method. If my input method on my printer's default is the same as set in outlook's print style, then outlook will use it.

i.e. I created a preset with auto tray select, and lots of other stuff, watermark.. and outlook used it by deafault.
i.e. My deafult printer preset to use bypass tray. Set outlook print style tp use bypass. Outlook now uses my print preset by default.

Hope others can use the info I provided.

Last edited:

loosephlegm

Jan 11, 2012
I'm usually against digging up old posts and registering on a bb for one post...

I had the same problem. Printing from Outlook 2007 to an HP Laserjet P2035 would pause the job and require the user to hit the resume button on the printer.

The solution was to reset page styles to defaults in Outlook.
File -> Page Setup -> Define Print Styles....
Select each style and click 'Reset'.

No idea why people need to print emails (or anything at all), but they're back to happily wasting resources.