printer server question

vois2

Banned
Jan 5, 2006
Hi, thank you for reading. I have in the past set up networked machines -- that is, a network around a *wired* router for several desktops.

Now, I'm wondering if I can do the following for a family member.
The question is whether a network as described below can share a printer..

(1) Dell Desktop PC, connected to DSL through a wireless router. A printer is also hooked up to this PC.

(2) In a different room, a Dell laptop receives the internet from that wireless router's broadcast.

Parts (1) and (2) are accomplished and all is good.

(3) Can a network be made for (1) and (2) via the usual Win XP network wizard?
(4) Can the printer at the desktop be used by the laptop over this network?
(5) Can this be done without purchasing a 'printer server' hardware?

Thanks!!!!!!!

unmerited

Dec 24, 2005
I usually set up networking manually but the network wizard should be able to do that without any problems. Once you have the network set up with file and printer sharing (on both computers), share out the printer on the Dell desktop and then connect to it using the add printer wizard from the laptop.
The desktop will of course have to be on whenever you want to access the printer from the laptop.

unmerited

cleverhandle

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2001
Yeah, should be fine. I would second unmerited's suggestion of doing this manually, though that network should be simple enough that even the Network Wizard can get it right. The only thing I would add is that you'll want to make sure that any users who are going to be sharing have exactly the same username and password on each machine.