Printer Manufacturers are taking a page out of the **AA's playbook

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Read this article over on CNet...seems pretty ridiculous, and looks like HP et al, wants more money out of us for the luxury of printing. Linkage

"We're not saying we can end piracy, but our system is designed to recover from failure," said Kit Rodgers, CRI's vice president of business development.

Not all ink-cartridge remanufacturing is illegal--much of it is, in fact, legitimate--but pirated ink-cartridge technology cuts substantially into original manufacturers' profits.

There are three main ways the $60 billion-a-year worldwide printing industry loses money:

? Used cartridges get refilled and sold as "new"-- instead of as remanufactured.

? Cartridges get illegally replicated through reverse engineering.

? Printers get hacked or physically altered to use any type of ink.

Although solid figures on counterfeiting are impossible to determine, it's estimated to cost the industry at least $3 billion a year, according to the Image Supplies Coalition, a lobbying group formed to fight piracy and cloning in the ink and toner industry.

CRI Cryptography is a method of encrypting data so that only a specific, private key can unlock, or decrypt, the information. It's used in everything from credit cards to digital media. CRI plans to create a secure chip that will allow only certain ink cartridges to communicate with certain printers.

"There's absolutely nothing wrong with that; it's an accepted part of a competitive industry," according to Tuan Tran, vice president of marketing and sales for HP's supplies business. "That is a legal competition in our minds."

About 11 percent of the money spent on inkjet cartridges and 25 percent of the money paid for monochrome laserjet cartridges goes to companies that resell cartridges they did not manufacture, according to John Shane, director of marketing at InfoTrends.

"The vast majority of that is perfectly legal. Most people believe (the U.S. market for illegal cartridges is) a lot smaller than the illegal market, say, in China," Shane said.

So if the vast majority of the system is legal why are they doing this, other than to emulate the **AA? Most places already have chipped ink cartridges in the newer printers.

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
The chip is also going to raise the price of an ink cartridge by another $10.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
IF you refil your existing cartridges then this should have any effect right? Only if you actually buy a generic cartridge? I plan on jus buying the bottle of toner powder next time my HP runs low. Just drill a hole in the toner cartridge and refill it. Same actual cartridge so the printer shouldn't know any better. PLus it's old so wouldn't care anyway.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
THis is SO dumb. There is no way to have an asymmetrical key with this setup. So it will just be a matter of time before someone figures it out.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
Originally posted by: Scouzer
Ink is such a scam.

Indeed. They might as well give the printers away for free.

:D

Ars had an article discussing Kodak's new approach - to charge _normal_ price for the printer, and reasonable costs for new ink cartridges.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It's just another way to steal a few more bucks from the consumer, which seems to be an accepted business practice thees days.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
IF you refil your existing cartridges then this should have any effect right? Only if you actually buy a generic cartridge? I plan on jus buying the bottle of toner powder next time my HP runs low. Just drill a hole in the toner cartridge and refill it. Same actual cartridge so the printer shouldn't know any better. PLus it's old so wouldn't care anyway.
The proper word is SHOULDN'T, the contraction of the words should and not.
Your use of should in it's place is confusing and indicates a 'failure to communicate' (properly). </cool hand luke>

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
I plan on jus buying the bottle of toner powder next time my HP runs low. Just drill a hole in the toner cartridge and refill it. Same actual cartridge so the printer shouldn't know any better. PLus it's old so wouldn't care anyway.

Doing that with my HP 2100TN @ 7/refill. Plus, I have about 30 empty cartridges from work that were being disposed off. This should take a very long time before I run out at the rate I'm printing.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scouzer
Ink is such a scam.</end quote></div>

Indeed. They might as well give the printers away for free.

Probably something like this, Free Color Printer. You buy the ink/supplies from them, you get a free printer.