Printer dying?

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Friend has a HP 8600 series 3 in 1 printer/scanner/fax. Wire connected to the router. Desktop PC wire connected to router. Portable PC is WiFi connected.

She will be printing up a storm all day using the portable and then all of a sudden an error pops on the portable saying lost connection. Tries using the desktop and gets the same error.

I found a HP utility that 'fixes' problems. Turn off PC. Turn off printer. Unplug power from printer. Plug in and power on. Power on PC. Utility 'finds' the printer and all is well. Even with the desktop PC.

I have replaced Ethernet cable from printer to router. Used a different port on router. Still sporadically happens. Also with another portable but once the problem is fixed with the first portable the 2nd sees the printer with no diagnosis process.

It seems the printer is dying.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
There's a good chance that the computer needs to have the AIO printer removed and reinstalled.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Well, I removed the AIO for the 8600. I had problems reinstalling but I got printing working. Then downloaded some new HP software for scanning and it works. We shall see.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
If the problem comes back, two things to look at as well
1 - make sure the printer is set to static ip, i have seen them wander on the when the lease is up and the computer do not know what to do
2 - check the port, in the printer properties, if its WDS, I would removed the software and re-install it and tell it manually to use the static ip

I know that the WDS is suppose to work better but kept having troubles with it.

Jahanzaib.khan

Mar 27, 2017
Printing out an archive or a photograph on an individual printer expends costly ink, and just the individual you offer it to can see it. Posting a similar material online costs nothing, and incalculable individuals can see it.