Printer connection advice needed

seamorton

Feb 11, 2016
Would like our forums thoughts on connecting a couple of desktop PC's to a printer. Current operating system is XP3. Prefer to use a wired system as this senior is not that knowledgeable with setting up wireless. Would prefer to use a hub or some type of splitter, if possible and That is available to connect the PC's to then the Printer. Printer uses USB 2 to power from PC. Any an all thoughts & suggestions will be considered and appreciated. Thank you very much! SM

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
So do they already have a printer or do they need a printer? Do they have wifi? How far apart are the computers?

seamorton

Feb 11, 2016
So do they already have a printer or do they need a printer? Do they have wifi? How far apart are the computers?
I already have a printer connected to one of the desktop PC's let's say PC 1. Do not have wifi connection or capability as far as I can determine. PC 1 has router internet connection & printer capabilities. Computers are connected to an internet router which is but a few feet apart. PC 2 has router connection but printer will not print. Network setup wizard & Printer connection was explored but I cannot get PC 2 setup properly. Hope this helps. XP3 OS. Thank you very much! SM

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Both printers need to be on the same "network." Personally, for an XP machine, I set the Workgroup to the same for both computers, and enable a shared folder on both. If I can see the shared folder from the other computer on both machines, I know I am ready to roll. That is "file sharing" but it's the easiest way for me to ensure two computers of that gen see each other.

If that doesn't work, you might want to try the Network setup wizard.

Once that is set up, you should be able to set up your printer. Basically, on the computer that sees the printer, go to Printers, right-click the printer, and select Share. Tell Windows to share it and give it a name. You can install drivers here if you need to for the other computer, tell it to add a printer, select network printer, and select the find option. If it sees it, then you are all set.

Here is a more detailed explanation:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457001.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: seamorton

seamorton

Feb 11, 2016
Both printers need to be on the same "network." Personally, for an XP machine, I set the Workgroup to the same for both computers, and enable a shared folder on both. If I can see the shared folder from the other computer on both machines, I know I am ready to roll. That is "file sharing" but it's the easiest way for me to ensure two computer of that gen see each other.

If that doesn't work, you might want to try the Network setup wizard.

Once that is set up, you should be able to set up your printer. Basically, on the computer that sees the printer, go to Printers, right-click the printer, and select Share. Tell Windows to share it and give it a name. You can install drivers here if you need to_On the other computer, tell it to add a printer, select network printer, and select the find option. If it sees it, then you are all set.

Here is a more detailed explanation:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457001.aspx

Appreciate the hands on explanation. I will take some time to review the directions & suggestions better and to become familiar with the procedure. You gave a very thorough explanation of what needs to be done. Feel more comfortable pursuing the process that you posted. Thanks very much for taking the time to assist with this matter. I will post an update if I am able to get this thing sorted out.. or post with more ???? SM