Print via PC connected USB printer from iPad over WiFi

BjornB

Apr 8, 2015
Hi!

I'd like to find out how I can print documents from my iPad on my USB-only printer. The printer is permantly hooked up via USB to a PC, and what I'd like to do, since the printer is available over the network, is to print documents from my iPad, wirelessy over the WiFi.

I'm able to print wirelessly from another PC in the household that is connected to my homegroup, but as far as I know I can't connect an iOS device to my homegroup.

However, I was still hoping that there would be some way I could find a similar solution for my iPad.

Is this possible at all?

My printer is a Canon Pixma ip4600 and I run Windows 10 and 7 respectively on my PC:s. The iPad is running the latest stable iOS version.

Thanks in advance.

BjornB

Apr 8, 2015
Hi and thanks!

I tried installing the AirPrint Installer, but the iPad still doesn't recognize the printer. I followed the instructions in the link you shared, but I must be doing something wrong.

I have enabled the 5353 port Bonjour Print Wizard in the firewall settings (I'm not sure if I should enable both the local and remote ports or just one of them, though)

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Since your printer does not have built in WiFi and does not have an RJ45 connection, the easiest fix is to add one of these to the printer:

ntusb20_MAIN.jpg

http://www.directron.com/ntusb20.html

Then hookup the printer to your router or switch. It will get an IP and then on your desktop or laptop or IOS unit, when you install the printer software, you tell it is a Network Printer and look either for the Printer or locate it by it's IP Address ... this way will work for sure, but it is a bit more work. Next printer you get, will probably have an RJ45 or built in WiFi and you won't have so many issues. Also by doing this, you eliminate the need for your other computer to be on, in order for your IOS or Laptop to talk to the printer.