Primegrid email received. Is it real?

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
I received an email on Friday that ended up in my junk mail folder from steamworks@primegrid.com. Is this a legitimate Primegrid email address? All the links in the email seem to redirect to primegrid.com.

The email says that I have found a top 5000 prime number. Being the skeptical sort, I am not actually going to believe it until I can confirm. :p

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I recieved one e-mail from primegrid a while back when I found a big prime, I'll see if I can dig it up and find out the e-mail address it was sent from.

Btw, you can go into your primegrid account on the site, and it will show the primes that you've found.

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I got one too... my primegrid account also says that I've found one, but when I click on that I get a different screen that says I haven't found any... yet.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Thanks for the replies. When I log into my primegrid account, I see that for the PPS project, it shows I have found 2. When I click through, only 1 comes up, one that I was a double checker for a little while ago. Maybe they haven't posted the second one yet?

If it's true, it's pretty cool.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Whoa... that's a big number! [redacted] :p

You shouldn't post primes before submitting them. Someone might steal them and report them as their own before you get a chance to. :ninja:

I have no reason to doubt the reality of your email(s). But I did start a thread about Geoff's email because it doesn't seem to contain a prime.

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well it looks like it's reported... but I have no idea if I've been credited with it or not... not a huge deal but this whole reporting/proof code/account stuff has got me pretty confused...

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
On the PrimeGrid home page under newly reported primes, I see one for GeoffS and geecee.

Congrats to both of you! :)

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
On the PrimeGrid home page under newly reported primes, I see one for GeoffS and geecee.

Congrats to both of you! :)
Thank you, thank you.

I am truly honored for this humbling recognition by the academy. I would like to thank my parents for giving my my inquisitive nature, my commitment to community service, and for encouraging me to pursue my dreams, my family for their love, my agent (i.e. Ken_g6) for convincing me how important the search for primes was when all I wanted to do with my spare CPU time was silly protein folding, the whole team behind the effort (GO TA!) without whose support and encouragement none of this would be possible, BOINC and Primegrid for laying the groundwork for my find, Microcenter who provided me with the raw materials to get started...

*** cue "YOU TALK TOO MUCH NOW GET OFF THE STAGE!" music ***

(shouting over music)
... and lastly, all my fellow prime seekers, without whose failures, I would never have had success!!!

:p

Seriously, pretty cool! I showed my kids the actual number, and I got a "Whoa!" as I scrolled all the way down through it.