PrimeGrid 321 Blast Off Challenge Nov 1-9

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Welcome to the last chance to find primes in a race this year. It's the 321 Blast Off Challenge! This will be an eight-day mission, November 1-9, orbiting powers of two multiplied by 3. Your goal will be to complete as many 321 Prime Search LLR tests as you can, as quickly and correctly as you can.

What you need:
  • One or more fast x86 processors. (Even slow ones could probably do some work.)
  • All of those processors running stably. The best way to check stability is to run Prime95's Large FFT test for a day or two. If you get any errors, your processor or RAM isn't stable enough for this challenge at your current clock/voltage.
  • Windows, Linux, or Mac OS 10.4+.
  • BOINC, attached to PrimeGrid (http://www.primegrid.com/).
  • Your PrimeGrid Preferences with "321 Prime Search (LLR)" the only CPU project selected in the Projects section.
  • Patience! These are fairly long WUs. (Not as long as Seventeen or Bust, but each could take a day.)

What won't help (but won't hurt either):
  • A 64-bit OS. (But if it's Linux, type "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs".)
  • A large amount of RAM.
  • A GPU. Sorry, I asked about this, but progress has stalled.

What would help, but isn't absolutely necessary:
  • An Intel processor with AVX. You won't get much extra BOINC credit with AVX, unfortunately, but you will get more race credit.
  • Fast RAM. If you overclock your RAM, be sure to run the Prime95 test described above.
    j.sheridan said:
    Going from 1600 to 2133MHz RAM has resulted in a 10+% improvement in 321 run times.
  • Reading [post=30943822]Ken's WU Juggling Guide[/post] and applying it once you figure out how long each WU will take. Note that the automatic time estimate isn't very good; estimate total time manually from progress and elapsed time.
  • Not running a GPU project. They don't all take much CPU time, but they do all take some. Unchecking the two "Use GPU" checkboxes on your PrimeGrid preferences may help you get work faster and more easily.

Work not downloaded and uploaded within the challenge will not be counted. Should you not be able to be in front of one or more computers at that time, see [post=29529001]the challenge strategy thread[/post] for ways to start and finish on time. (Though my Linux script doesn't seem to work with BOINC 7.)

I plan to post stats in this thread, and others may too. But for the most up-to-date TeAm stats, get my latest user script. With that installed, visit this address for TeAm stats.

Good luck to all! :)

Last edited:

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
If anyone has Vishera out there, I am very interested to know if AVX is working with Primegrid on them.
Last I heard, Bulldozer's implementation of AVX was no faster than the non-AVX version, because they can only do one AVX instruction per two cores. And I don't think Vishera changed that.
Interesting - I may join this one for fun ...
That would be nice. We've missed you! :) And ZipSpeed got 4th in the last race with a single OCed 2600k, so even one nice new computer could make a huge difference.

zzuupp

Lifer
Jul 6, 2008
I'm in.

I've already done some 321's just so I don't get too messed up on a wacky DCF
& I've moved the GPU's elsewhere for the same reason.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm, if only I could get my Thuban rigs up and running in time for this race.

Edit: Anyways, I still have my "secondary" Q9300 rig plugged in (just turned off for now). I guess I could get it up and running PrimeGrid before the race starts.

Last edited:

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Well, I would have been in for this one, but Sandy made some other plans for me. If I get power back, I'll jump in, but current estimates say it might be a week or more. I'll put my work box on it though. Maybe it will get through a couple of work units.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Well, I would have been in for this one, but Sandy made some other plans for me.
:(

I was wondering how many plans listed here Sandy threw a monkey wrench in. (Or through :eek:) I know I'm too far west to be affected, and Peter's a little too far east. ;) But what about you, zzuupp - "Tidewater" sounds like a bad place to ride out a storm. I assume Blckgrffn's just getting wet at worst. What about you, Biodoc?

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
:(

I was wondering how many plans listed here Sandy threw a monkey wrench in. (Or through :eek:) I know I'm too far west to be affected, and Peter's a little too far east. ;) But what about you, zzuupp - "Tidewater" sounds like a bad place to ride out a storm. I assume Blckgrffn's just getting wet at worst. What about you, Biodoc?

We only lost power for 3 hours on Monday but my neighbor's generator is still running. It wasn't too bad in Massachusetts but I really feel bad for the states south of us. :( Horrible storm for NY, NJ and surrounding states. D:

zzuupp

Lifer
Jul 6, 2008
Down in the flatlands of VA, it was rainy, it is still a bit messy & all the places that usually flood did. I can't complain.

Especially, since work was closed on Monday & they told us on Sunday!

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
...And blastoff!

270px-Delta_IV_Medium_Rocket_DSCS.jpg

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I am not getting any WUs:
2012-11-01 19:08:09 | PrimeGrid | Message from server: No work available for the applications you have selected. Please check your project preferences on the web site.

I have selected the "Blast-off" WUs ...

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Well, the home page shows 916 available, so keep trying. Maybe make sure you've enabled CPU work in your preferences.

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
tick tock tick tock...

I downloaded 8 WUs with one of my boxes and I cannot get a single one with another...I keep trying but nothing...not WUs available response.

Hopefully will get some more soon.

Last edited:

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Usucapio Libertatis said:
If you have use Nvidia GPu and use ATI gpu unchecked on your prefs page you should get work almost immediately.
Hopefully, that will work for you. I haven't tried lately, as my first batch will take about 24 hours to complete.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
40 cores?! :eek: Not complaining at all, but I thought you cut back?

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I'm in! :)

40 cores for Peter! :eek: That's great! :cool::thumbsup:

I was at work at the start of the race but 3 started at the appropriate time using network access preferences but my 2600K did not, so I just fired it up.

go go go TeAm! :thumbsup:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
40 cores?! :eek: Not complaining at all, but I thought you cut back?

I have. Before I could enter up to 124 cores ... on 24 computers. :oops:
Now i have 40 on 6 crunchers ... and those have 2 GPUs each. :cool:
This is a cut back ... ;)

zzuupp

Lifer
Jul 6, 2008
I know that I started 1 hour late, but somehow still was starved on tasked.
Then, I got distracted on 40 cores!!!