Prime95 torture test options ?

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
On the latest version of Prime95 there are now 3 options that are selectable when doing a torture test. I guess the first option tests the cpu primarily, the second option tests memory some too, and the third test test memory a lot more.

I'm wondering if anyone has played with these much ? Which one is most like the old Prime95 test before these options existed ? And which one is most important to run for several hours to determine stability ?

I was thinking it's probably the third option, but I'd like to hear other opinions.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Also, in a case where a person doesn't know if it's the cpu or the memory holding back further overclocking I would think the first option would be helpful in figuring out if the cpu is at it's limit, right ?

If so has anyone actually researched if it actually works very well for this purpose ?

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
Also, in a case where a person doesn't know if it's the cpu or the memory holding back further overclocking I would think the first option would be helpful in figuring out if the cpu is at it's limit, right ?

If so has anyone actually researched if it actually works very well for this purpose ?

Yep, the torture test will easily tell you when your CPU has hit the wall.