prime95 questions

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I ran prime 95 for about 5-7 minutes and my 2500k CPU cores each went up to 73-76 C even though the vcores didnt go above 1.25v, even though I used AC MX2, even though my 100mm CPU fan (it is a logisys which I have because it was easy to install and because the fan can deliver a lot of airflow without weakening) remained at ~2300 rpm, and even though I am not OCing. GPU and hard drive temps were normal.

I decided not to run it much longer because I figured that 76C was getting dangerously close to the Tj max of 98C.

I have a Sabertooth P67 B3 and my case exhaust fan is a Panaflo 120mm ultraspeed (although it probably only runs at about 2/3 the original speed). PSU is a Signature 650.

anyway, why cant I run prime95 without my CPU overheating? Do I have a bad chip?

It is terribly disturbing that there is an app my computer cant run without the CPU overheating.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
You consider a 22C difference "dangerously close"? You're being silly. You're fine. That's not even close to overheating, and it'll never get as hot in real-world usage as you will in Prime95. You're only "overheating" if the CPU either throttles (slows down to less than full speed while under load to reduce temperatures) or shuts off. If you're not throttling, you're fine. Generally, you want below 90C in Prime. Maybe 85C is you're a bit paranoid.

I'm curious about what temps you were expecting to see...

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
I was going to write something about you being overly paranoid, but stopped and laughed when I realized what your username was.

If you are concerned about longevity, keep it under 90c loaded. Very few programs will load your chip like Prime does, so you really have some room to get in a few extra mhz.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
A420, prime95 is very good at loading the cpu and thus increasing temps. that being said, you are not even close to max temp. Those temps are fine.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
So I decided to see what you guys were talking about with this guy's threads... I regret that decision.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
You consider a 22C difference "dangerously close"? You're being silly. You're fine. That's not even close to overheating, and it'll never get as hot in real-world usage as you will in Prime95. You're only "overheating" if the CPU either throttles (slows down to less than full speed while under load to reduce temperatures) or shuts off. If you're not throttling, you're fine. Generally, you want below 90C in Prime. Maybe 85C is you're a bit paranoid.

I'm curious about what temps you were expecting to see...
well, it was going up pretty fast so i thought i was going to hit 98C. i was expecting it to max out at 70C. thank you for answering.:)
I was going to write something about you being overly paranoid, but stopped and laughed when I realized what your username was.

If you are concerned about longevity, keep it under 90c loaded. Very few programs will load your chip like Prime does, so you really have some room to get in a few extra mhz.
A420, prime95 is very good at loading the cpu and thus increasing temps. that being said, you are not even close to max temp. Those temps are fine.
thank you:)

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
What CPU cooler are you using?
a logisys, i don't remember the name of the model. it has a 100mm fan on top and it spins at 2.3krpm. i am using AC MX2 for TIM. i got the logisys because it was easy to install and because it moved a lot of air without dying quickly; i knew i couldn't make any mistakes with it.

thank you for asking:)

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com