Prime Day Not So Prime

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Amazon has the Dewalt 1/2" impact driver, normally $219 for $149. Seemed like a good deal till I looked at Lowes and saw the price was $149, normally $199.
Saw other similar results.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I got enough gillette razor cartridges to last me through the end of the year. 24 bars of Dove, sensitive skin, for $14. And 3 24oz Dawn for $8.80. Hot. Just have to remember to un subscribe....

Yeah, so far, not seeing anything I need or want. slick deals has a prime day shopping guide.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajay and olds

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I rarely buy anything on Prime Day. Seems like it's usually just a bunch of junk made by Chinese knock-off companies...or stuff I just don't need. I DO have a couple of "prime day only" coupons I'd like to use...IF I can find anything I need.

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
All other retailers like Target, Bestbuy, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. price match Amazon during Prime Day. So it is sort of good deal and benefits everyone.

But I don't remember Prime Day deals ever being good. Not even the first one. So why are people still talking about Prime Day year after year? You would think people learn after a year or two. Apparently not.

Nov 8, 2012
I got enough gillette razor cartridges to last me through the end of the year. 24 bars of Dove, sensitive skin, for $14. And 3 24oz Dawn for $8.80. Hot. Just have to remember to un subscribe....

Yeah, so far, not seeing anything I need or want. slick deals has a prime day shopping guide.

I used to swear by using a Double Edge manual razor for how much cheaper it was, but from all the competitors that came for Gilette's head (Dollar Shave Club, Harrys, etc...) it's definitely driven down the price to a much more reasonable level as of late.

Reactions: highland145
Nov 8, 2012
All other retailers like Target, Bestbuy, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. price match Amazon during Prime Day. So it is sort of good deal and benefits everyone.

But I don't remember Prime Day deals ever being good. Not even the first one. So why are people still talking about Prime Day year after year? You would think people learn after a year or two. Apparently not.

It's more of a "Amazon takes out the trash day" where it convinces people to buy crap they didn't even know they wanted for a price that is mediocre at best.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Last year I bought a few parts for my long overdue Ryzen 3600 system upgrade from Amazon (inc CPU for $159 ... $40 $65 cheaper then it is NOW wtf?!?) but got the bulk of its parts from "Prime-day" triggered sales at other merchants. Big winner was of all places Best Buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: olds

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

The best deal I ever got for Prime Day was from discounts on Amazon Warehouse Deals, got a $400 guitar for $123. It had a couple cracks in the finish, but I was intending for it to be a beater guitar anyway. Other than that, yeah, pretty moderate/lame deals all around.

Reactions: Captante

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Last edited:

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I had a $10 dollar off prime coupon that was nice. Probably won't do any other shopping there though.

Reactions: Captante

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
A case of 24" Horse Dong Trojans on sale for $5.95. I figure I won't have to buy birthday balloons to make balloon animanls for at least a couple years. Wiener dog balloons at parties are very popular this year.

• Haha

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

Prime Day usually has a handful of actual good deals filled with all the rubbish Amazon is trying to clear out of their warehouses. They have several good deals on 3d printers right now, but those are the only good deals I've seen.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
There were some insane discounts (price errors) on Sony mirrorless camera gear two years ago on Prime Day, and surprisingly many of the orders were fulfilled. Amazon must have taken a large loss on those particular transactions.

Although today's deals may seem like a big nothingburger, there are a few "Pay with Points" promos with the CC companies (Discover, Chase and Citi) that knock a decent percentage off of an order. If you needed something anyway, at least that will save you a little money.

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
What do they do, disable camelcamelcamel.com so no one can confirm a deal?

( just wondering - I could go check . . . )

Nov 8, 2012
The best deal I ever got for Prime Day was from discounts on Amazon Warehouse Deals, got a $400 guitar for $123. It had a couple cracks in the finish, but I was intending for it to be a beater guitar anyway. Other than that, yeah, pretty moderate/lame deals all around.

Took a stroll through, because I needed an office chair and I've pretty much given up on trying to find a decent priced genuine leather one... found an office chair for ~$90 - with the warehouse discount came out to about $72 or so.

I looked the chair brand new and it was $103 or something.... Meh. Seems practically better to just pay $30 to have new item guarantees?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Picked up a Kindle Paperwhite for $80. This is a decent price. I had been waiting for them to come down in price.
That I recommend. Of course, they make their bucks selling you content for it. It's a fabulous device, though.

I never had Prime until this year. So, today I look at the wirecutter list of recommended Prime Day deals. I got to the last one, $12.99 for
Kasa Smart Plug HS103P2

a pair, read about it and went for it. Not sure I'll have a use for them. I don't have an Echo device, figure I could use an app to schedule or turn on off. I think they can be programmed to turn on/off with voice or hand clap, but that may necessitate getting an Echo device... don't know.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
That I recommend. Of course, they make their bucks selling you content for it. It's a fabulous device, though.

I never had Prime until this year. So, today I look at the wirecutter list of recommended Prime Day deals. I got to the last one, $12.99 for
Kasa Smart Plug HS103P2

a pair, read about it and went for it. Not sure I'll have a use for them. I don't have an Echo device, figure I could use an app to schedule or turn on off. I think they can be programmed to turn on/off with voice or hand clap, but that may necessitate getting an Echo device... don't know.

We started using these Kasa plugs a few years back as our first step into home automation. They've been great devices. I initially started with 2 or 3, built my way up to 7 and have now ordered 4 more on this Prime day deal.

I find it's good to have extra because when we're making changes to certain rooms or get a new device that automation could be useful, it's a cheap insurance policy to have these ready to go. They integrate with our Google home speakers very well.

My favorite use so far was when I installed a PC in my basement ceiling to have a clean look for my desk / PC area on the main floor. The motherboard I put in supports turning on when power is supplied to the PSU / Mobo, so I have it connected to a smart plug that turns off at night. In the morning (or when I'm ready) I can tell my google speaker to "turn on PCNAME" and 2 seconds later my computer is turning on for me for the day's use. Or I can do it from a shortcut on my phone lock screen.

I was using Wake On LAN for this but I had network noise that would cause the PC to wake up randomly. I figured out it was my laptop causing the noise, but I could not fix it. That's when I came up with the above solution and it has been working great.

Reactions: Muse

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Prime Day usually has a handful of actual good deals filled with all the rubbish Amazon is trying to clear out of their warehouses. They have several good deals on 3d printers right now, but those are the only good deals I've seen.

Are you into 3d printing? About to get one and wondering if you have any xp with them. Looking at a flashforge adventurer 3 or monoprice voxel right now.