"Primary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed"

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
when my computer boots up... i get that messege during POST. a lazy google search tells me that this is becuz i am using a 40 pin ide cable. but this is not the case. i am using an 80 pin cable that came with my seagate hd. anyone else have this messege pop up on them? specs for my rig here. :)

zzzz

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2000
try changing the cable
Also check if you have put the blue connector to the mobo.

DeRusto

Golden Member
May 31, 2002
yes, a likely cause of this problem is that you have the cable connected backwards.. try making sure that the blue connector (or colored connector, mine is green:)) is connected to the motherboard

this is how they should be set up

blue - motherboard
grey- slave drive
black- master drive

DeRusto

Golden Member
May 31, 2002
no, 80-pin is right.

his hard drive came with a cable, that would logically be a 80-pin udma-66/100 cable because his hard drive supports it.

there are still only 40 pins that connect to the board..and hard drive, but there are 40 other wires to provide insulation. i guess they call it an 80-pin connector to distinguish it from the old udma-33 40-pin cables.

DeRusto

Golden Member
May 31, 2002
no, i do not agree with you.

the term '80-pin cable' was used to distinguish the cable from a ata-33 cable, because the ata-66/100 cables actually do have 80 conductors.

in a sense, i suppose i am agreeing by saying that the cable still does only use 40 pins..but i was just trying to clarify why this term was used

Budman

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DeRusto
yes, a likely cause of this problem is that you have the cable connected backwards.. try making sure that the blue connector (or colored connector, mine is green:)) is connected to the motherboard

this is how they should be set up

blue - motherboard
grey- slave drive
black- master drive

DeRusto has your solution,you need to connect a 80wire cable in a specific order or it will default to ata33.

blue - motherboard
grey- slave drive
black- master drive

DeRusto

Golden Member
May 31, 2002
Nonetheless, spanky's original post used the term '80-pin' while it may not be exactly the right term, it is still used to mean the same thing as '80-conductor'. I wasn't actually saying that 80-pin had anything to do with the actual cable having 80-pins, I was merely stating why the term had been used.

In any case, the term '80 conductor cable' would be correct:)