Primarily Gaming Purposes - 4790K or 5820K ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Primarily Gaming Purposes - 4790K or 5820K ?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Geeksmirage

Nov 26, 2014
1. Thats awesome, Ive got to hit up my friend at Intel then!
2. Yeah, Im always scared of new mobos for this reason.
3. How do you track which RAM brand uses which chip?
4,5. Makes sense.
6. Very interesting. I'll look into this. May make sense to have a 256 GB xp491 then.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Wouldn't worry about the mobos too much. Unless you're a day 1 purchaser, it's not a big issue. I tend to find those who are purchasing first weeks are the ones with most issues. I've never had a mobo issue and most users don't.

Edit: I've never had a PC issue that I didn't personally cause.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Right now, Im basically trying to make a few decisions.

1. Should I go for the 5820k or the 5960k (Notice: NOT the 5930k). The cost difference is massive, $380 vs $1000. But that is the top of the line processor. Plus that should take care of all my multitasking needs for a few years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErDF4jkVRsI&list=UUzqOB6Yvp2mAw8UAJoFqMWQ

2. Mobo: Asus Deluxe vs Extreme? (I will start OC the first time with this system)
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-x99-rampage-v-extreme-review,1.html

3. GPUs: Since I dont game THAT much, I can either use my old Radeon 6850 HD or get ONE 970, because adding a second 970 later is easy. What is not easy is changing ur processor / mobo.

The rest, RAM, PSU, Cooler etc is a secondary decision i guess.

5820K and Asrock X99 Extreme 4. I have the board with a 5930K and its solid. If you want a CPU to last you want threads hence hexa core.

Mar 10, 2006
Exactly. Thats why Im wondering if its worth going upto the 5960 with 8 cores!

You buy the 5960X if you routinely run workloads that can use up every last ounce of multithreaded performance that can be thrown at them...

...or if you just like having "the best."

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008

That's over $1000 processor...
If you purchased a 5960x for the usage scenario you've proposed your CPU would be sad. I mean it would literally be sad. It would use the massive amounts of extra processing power and phone home to intel and ask why it never gets to do anything. It would say "I wasn't designed for this... I was meant for something special... not for this...."

I'd honestly feel bad for the CPU, not even that you wasted the cash on it, but that the poor little guy will never get to be utilized in any manner it was intended to do so.

5820k is overkill for you as it is.

After that, you've hit a threshold I consider "You don't need to be told you need this." Which means the user should already know enough about CPUs to not be told whether it's worth it or not. Not sure how to describe it any better but that if you need more than the 5820k, you aren't creating a thread. You're going out and purchasing what you need as you don't need help to create a build.

Geeksmirage

Nov 26, 2014
That's over $1000 processor...
If you purchased a 5960x for the usage scenario you've proposed your CPU would be sad. I mean it would literally be sad. It would use the massive amounts of extra processing power and phone home to intel and ask why it never gets to do anything. It would say "I wasn't designed for this... I was meant for something special... not for this...."

I'd honestly feel bad for the CPU, not even that you wasted the cash on it, but that the poor little guy will never get to be utilized in any manner it was intended to do so.

5820k is overkill for you as it is.

After that, you've hit a threshold I consider "You don't need to be told you need this." Which means the user should already know enough about CPUs to not be told whether it's worth it or not. Not sure how to describe it any better but that if you need more than the 5820k, you aren't creating a thread. You're going out and purchasing what you need as you don't need help to create a build.

Thats what I was thinking about. There is wanting the best and there is simple overkill. The only reason it even entered the discussion is because I removed my SLI GPUs and I can "upgrade" to that for the $700.

The only pro in upgrading for THAT cost (which I consider too high, esp. since top of the line items get discounted fast, so in 6 months it could be $500), is that once I have a basic 8 core, when 8 cores are cheap in 2-3 years time, I already have a decent one.

Maybe it was the kid in a candy store syndrome, but I think I may be over it now :)

Geeksmirage

Nov 26, 2014
1. I have family who works for Intel. Got a smoking deal on the 5930k that I couldn't say no to.
2. Had initially purchased an Asus X99-A, however it failed to power on, no LEDs were lit no nothing. reseated it, no joy. Exchanged it at Fry's. Second one had a BIOS error and wouldn't get me in to the BIOS to correct it. Exchanged it for the MSI one and had no issues.
3. There are only 2 good companies that make the actual memory chips, Micron or Hynix. Any manufacturer that uses one of those two brands to make their RAM sticks will produce a decent product.
4. Had good luck with them in the past. And it's one of the parts that I carried over from my old build.
5. Same thing here. I've had them for about 1 year now. 9xx series video cards just don't interest me enough to make the jump from what I currently have. My gaming is done at 1920x1080, so I'm ok for now with the 2 x 770's.
6. The SATA connected Samsung 840 EVO can only do a max of about 550-600 MB/s (not counting RAPID mode which is glorious for benchmarks). The PCIe x4 Samsung XP941 meanwhile can hit about 1500 MB/s in the Samsung Magician disk benchmark. It's all about speed :)

Any clue which one of these new SSDs are good? Samsung XP941 is about $250 for 256GB, Crucial M550 512GB SATA M.2 Type 2280 is also $250, Transcend 512 GB SATA III 6Gb/s MTS800 80 mm M.2 SSD is also $250 ?

Dimicron

Oct 20, 2002
Any clue which one of these new SSDs are good? Samsung XP941 is about $250 for 256GB, Crucial M550 512GB SATA M.2 Type 2280 is also $250, Transcend 512 GB SATA III 6Gb/s MTS800 80 mm M.2 SSD is also $250 ?

Be careful when buying anything M.2. There are two types. PCIe and SATA. M.2 SATA caps out at the same speeds that SATA3 ports do. PCIe ones will require PCIe lanes from your CPU. AFAIK there are only two PCIe M.2 devices out there right now. The Plextor M6e series is x2 and the Samsung XP941 series is x4. From what I've read, the Plextor is easier to make bootable. The Samsung one is the winner in pure speed though.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013

When games start using 8 cores the 5960X will be replaced with something even faster, likely for the same 1K. A 5820K will do it, then maybe Skywall-E. I wouldn't buy a basic quad for a gaming box that aims to last anymore. With all these ports you want as much power on tap as possible (within some reason).

Geeksmirage

Nov 26, 2014
Be careful when buying anything M.2. There are two types. PCIe and SATA. M.2 SATA caps out at the same speeds that SATA3 ports do. PCIe ones will require PCIe lanes from your CPU. AFAIK there are only two PCIe M.2 devices out there right now. The Plextor M6e series is x2 and the Samsung XP941 series is x4. From what I've read, the Plextor is easier to make bootable. The Samsung one is the winner in pure speed though.

I just started using my Samsung EVO, would you recommend going on the X2 bandwagon? Or should I wait till next year, thats what Im trying to figure out.

Because its a mega pain to reformat, so should I be buying a 256/512 X2 right now for my OS?

Not sure if they tech is in its infancy and its better to wait 1-2 years.

Geeksmirage

Nov 26, 2014
When games start using 8 cores the 5960X will be replaced with something even faster, likely for the same 1K. A 5820K will do it, then maybe Skywall-E. I wouldn't buy a basic quad for a gaming box that aims to last anymore. With all these ports you want as much power on tap as possible (within some reason).

Agreed. thats why Ive decided on the 5820k.

Geeksmirage

Nov 26, 2014

@Dimicron Thank you Thank you THANK YOU!
My friend at Intel got back to me. They have brilliant prices! And combos with mobo, RAM etc.

Geeksmirage

Nov 26, 2014

Im quite seriously thinking if I should get the XP491 256/512, the speed difference is significant.

However, Im wondering:
1. Should I be waiting for the SM951.

2. If I do get the XP491, I read that I should be using some sort of a card, not sure which one I need?
http://www.amazon.com/Lycom-DT-120-P.../dp/B00MYCQP38
http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-3-5-I...dp/B00OKSFF1M/

"All in all, for those who are in the market for a PCIe SSD, the XP941 is the only serious option. It is the fastest client SSD on the market and as long as your motherboard includes boot support for it, it is the best client drive that money can buy at the moment. I am very excited to get my hands on the SM951 (and other native PCIe SSDs) because the XP941 is already great, but when you add PCIe 3.0, NVMe, and V-NAND to the mix it will be one hell of a drive. "

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8430/...gb-256gb-and-ocz-revodrive-350-480gb-reviewed

Dimicron

Oct 20, 2002
Im quite seriously thinking if I should get the XP491 256/512, the speed difference is significant.

However, Im wondering:
1. Should I be waiting for the SM951.

2. If I do get the XP491, I read that I should be using some sort of a card, not sure which one I need?
http://www.amazon.com/Lycom-DT-120-P.../dp/B00MYCQP38
http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-3-5-I...dp/B00OKSFF1M/

"All in all, for those who are in the market for a PCIe SSD, the XP941 is the only serious option. It is the fastest client SSD on the market and as long as your motherboard includes boot support for it, it is the best client drive that money can buy at the moment. I am very excited to get my hands on the SM951 (and other native PCIe SSDs) because the XP941 is already great, but when you add PCIe 3.0, NVMe, and V-NAND to the mix it will be one hell of a drive. "

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8430/...gb-256gb-and-ocz-revodrive-350-480gb-reviewed

I have my XP941 mounted directly on my mobo. I spaced out my video cards so that they are in x16 slot 1 and x16 slot 3 instead of the recommended x16 slot 1 and x16 slot 2. I had to buy a longer SLI connector, but they both run at x8 and that's sufficient for them.

The upside is that the video cards are not right on top of the XP941 in my build, leaving my case fans to be able to blow right on it. My case(Corsair C70) has two 120mm side fans, and four front mounted 120mm fans two on each side of the hard drive bays. The XP941 does not have a temperature sensor in it's SMART data, so I have no way of knowing what it's temps are. But it's pretty much used for bootup and page file purposes. Pretty much all of my programs and games are installed on other drives. So with the expected usage that I have it for, and with the airflow that I have on it, I'm not too worried about temps.

I'm pretty sure that the SM951 will be faster even than the XP941. I'm also pretty sure that when it's released, the XP941's prices will drop. Either way, I don't think you would be making a bad choice either buying the XP941 now or waiting for the SM951 to be released. Sorry, that's not quite as helpful :) FWIW, I'm pretty impatient. That was why I got the XP941 now.

Geeksmirage

Nov 26, 2014
I have my XP941 mounted directly on my mobo. I spaced out my video cards so that they are in x16 slot 1 and x16 slot 3 instead of the recommended x16 slot 1 and x16 slot 2. I had to buy a longer SLI connector, but they both run at x8 and that's sufficient for them.

The upside is that the video cards are not right on top of the XP941 in my build, leaving my case fans to be able to blow right on it. My case(Corsair C70) has two 120mm side fans, and four front mounted 120mm fans two on each side of the hard drive bays. The XP941 does not have a temperature sensor in it's SMART data, so I have no way of knowing what it's temps are. But it's pretty much used for bootup and page file purposes. Pretty much all of my programs and games are installed on other drives. So with the expected usage that I have it for, and with the airflow that I have on it, I'm not too worried about temps.

I'm pretty sure that the SM951 will be faster even than the XP941. I'm also pretty sure that when it's released, the XP941's prices will drop. Either way, I don't think you would be making a bad choice either buying the XP941 now or waiting for the SM951 to be released. Sorry, that's not quite as helpful :) FWIW, I'm pretty impatient. That was why I got the XP941 now.

Its interesting that you mounted it directly. A lot of ppl seem to recommend using a card to do it, so not sure.

Did you notice any speed difference? It seems that if you use 2 SSDS in RAID, the performance is similar to that of a XP941.

Ill think abt it a bit more, will make a call.

Btw, Hope you saw my thank you post :)

Last edited:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Its interesting that you mounted it directly. A lot of ppl seem to recommend using a card to do it, so not sure.

Did you notice any speed difference? It seems that if you use 2 SSDS in RAID, the performance is similar to that of a XP941.

Ill think abt it a bit more, will make a call.

Btw, Hope you saw my thank you post :)

Personally, I think you're starting to go overboard. I'd start with what you have (which again is overkill for your needs) rather than simply picking up the "best" of every single part which all carry massive premiums over more general items.

Like others have told you, you can throw all the horsepower you want at a situation but if it's a bad situation to start, nothing will help it.

Geeksmirage

Nov 26, 2014
Personally, I think you're starting to go overboard. I'd start with what you have (which again is overkill for your needs) rather than simply picking up the "best" of every single part which all carry massive premiums over more general items.

Like others have told you, you can throw all the horsepower you want at a situation but if it's a bad situation to start, nothing will help it.

Yeah, I did go a bit overboard. Its not necessary at all, but I did enjoy building a kickass build. Now for the relatively painful part, putting it all together :)

Thanks again for all the help!