Prices have gone up on 4790k since last year?

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
I don't get it, i purchased my 4790k in August last year for $300 (it was on sale with the purchase of a mobo during the Haswell-E release day). I'm looking at prices now and it seems the price has actually gone up?($340!) What gives? Has the CPU market really slowed to a crawl or what? I expected this CPU to last 5 years and it seems that might actually be the minimum!

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
It has been always like that. Intel issues "price cuts" by moving its product line-up a notch below, then discontinues, instead of lowering the price of, the SKU that was replaced by the same new chip with a different rating. The EOL'ed product's price goes up as some folks upgrade options are limited due to platform changes.

Gosh I am so glad that I am out of that loop.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
But 4790k isn't EOL yet is it? Right after the release of the 6700k it became EOL?

svenge

Jan 21, 2006
I don't get it, i purchased my 4790k in August last year for $300 (it was on sale with the purchase of a mobo during the Haswell-E release day). I'm looking at prices now and it seems the price has actually gone up?($340!) What gives? Has the CPU market really slowed to a crawl or what? I expected this CPU to last 5 years and it seems that might actually be the minimum!

Was the site in question a Canadian one? The reason I ask is because at the end of August 2014, 1 CAD = 0.92 USD, while currently 1 CAD = 0.76 USD.

As for American pricing, it seems like the pricing trend for that chip is relatively flat per PCPartPicker. This is to be expected for Intel CPUs as they really don't go up or down in price after their release date, except for when individual retailers decide to to a sale of some sort.