Price drop on ATI 4870 512mb/1GB

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
"I had nothing but problems with nVidia in the past"

A lot of folks are having nothing but problems with ATI "now". Both vendors have their share of issues, but ATI more so lately with their drivers.

As for how the 192 shader GTX performance you keep mentioning, just check any review that tests the new Big Bang II drivers and see for yourself. The 192 is equal to, or beats the 4870 512 and 1GB models in quite a few games. Mostly the latest releases.
And trading blows in others. Don't believe me? Well, you don't have to.

Seriously... Did I ever say anything else? Did I ever say that the GTX260 sucks? Well, let me tell you: no I didn't. I know those cards are pretty much equal in terms of performance (not to mention most reviews share that opinion). I had problems with nVidia, I won't buy one again. I never had problems from ATi, I will buy their cards. Do people have problems with ATi now? Yes. With nVidia too? Yes.

But... what has that to do with ATi cutting prices? Absolutely nothing. You started the whole GTX260 discussion even mentioning the card here, how it is a better buy and will last longer and what not.

Anyway, for the sake of this thread and good news about ATi cutting prices on the HD4870 models, I'd say we just drop it. I think it's a great way of gaining new customers as it gives more power for less. And you think the GTX260 is better cause it has 896MB of RAM. There.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Well, you asked about the 192 GTX260. I complied. And for the sake of the thread, I'll agree to differ with you.

:thumbsup:

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Isn't that what you always do when someone disagrees with you keys? ATI slashed prices of their HD4870 model. Assumably across the board, all vendors, and both models. Nvidia is not countering in any way or shape. The only way to get a competitively priced GTX260, which is a eol product, is to jump through hoops AND go with one single model from MSI. MSI is offering a big rebate, not Nvidia. End of thread.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
Isn't that what you always do when someone disagrees with you keys? ATI slashed prices of their HD4870 model. Assumably across the board, all vendors, and both models. Nvidia is not countering in any way or shape. The only way to get a competitively priced GTX260, which is a eol product, is to jump through hoops AND go with one single model from MSI. MSI is offering a big rebate, not Nvidia. End of thread.

Is what what I do Marc? You mean, agree to disagree? Nothing wrong with that, in fact it is even a guideline in the sticky at the top of this forum by ViRGE. And how often do you and I agree? Almost never. This instance is probably not an exception. What is the big deal?

And Marc, you miss the obvious. The "hoops" are there to be jumped through. So you wouldn't take advantage of these "hoops" because it requires some effort (OMG some keystrokes) to accomplish?

As for EOL products, heh, I still see a bunch of products for sale that were EOL long ago. That shouldn't matter at all. The context in which you use EOL product seems to indicate you think the GTX260 192 shader is not a formidable card, because it's EOL? You can't be serious about that. Used GTX260 192's will be available for quite some time. All the better for SLI go'ers.

dadach

Nov 27, 2005
Originally posted by: lavaheadache
Originally posted by: Wreckage
Originally posted by: solofly
Im actually disappointed with the outdated tech from Nvdia, nothing new in over 2 years and the next round doesn`t look any different...

I'm even more disappointed that ATI could not produce a single GPU that could outperform the GTX2xx even after 2 years. Not to mention their inability to match CUDA and or get any sort of game physics.

Give it up already...... Why are you in this thread? This thread is about Great pirces on Great hardware, which in fact is the truth. I'm beginning to despise you and your green blood.

one thing is for sure...on every ati thread, we can all count on nvidia trolls infesting the place...sad, really :(

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
But dadach, your comment along with lavaheadache's were personal. At least Wreckage's post had to do with graphics cards and his opinion on them. Who was worse here? Keep it on topic, would you please?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: dguy6789
I use said texture pack on my 512MB card in Oblivion and the game runs perfectly fine. I do run at 1680x1050 though.

I used this texture pack on my 2900 Pro w/512MB and had no issues at 1680x1050... too bad that game still sucks though. :)

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
But dadach, your comment along with lavaheadache's were personal. At least Wreckage's post had to do with graphics cards and his opinion on them. Who was worse here? Keep it on topic, would you please?

And the topic isn't f**king NVIDA in any shape or form, mr nvidia salesman...

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Qbah
And chizow:
From the PCGH link we can clearly see that adding RAM to the HD4870 1GB is beneficial in Fallout 3. In that review only. The Firingsquad one has the 512 card beating the 1GB one at 1920x1200 AAx4 in AVG ! And the same min FPS too for both! Not to mention in the whole Firingsquad review the 512MB card trades blows with the 1GB one most of the time. And it is only at 2560x1600 that the 512MB tanks (obviously!). And at AAx8 sometimes. Dude, do you even read the links you post?
Is this a joke? Of course I read the links I post, I also understand them. ;) The instances the 512MB "trades blows" with the 1GB, the difference is <1 FPS, which is well within margin of error when running benchmarks. The times the 512MB runs out of VRAM it looks like a value part compared to the 1GB 4870 and GTX 260 offerings.

This review clearly shows the 512MB is significantly slower than the 1GB in situations VRAM becomes an issue and that both cards are significantly slower than the GTX 260 offerings.

And back to PCGH, we see the RAM added performance for the 1GB version. Assuming they didn't mess something up during testing - other reviews don't show that behavior at that res. Neither does my testing (yes, I own Fallout 3). There hasn't been a single moment my 512MB Radeon went to 26 FPS at 1920x1200 AAx4 ! Not to mention 1680x1050 they use. And I've got Fraps running all the time in my games (out of curiosity mostly).
Actually most reviews do show a consistent difference between the 512 and 1GB parts in higher resolutions with AA enabled. I was pointing out cases in lower resolutions, like 1680. There's certainly more out there, feel free to browse PCGH.

And in case you've missed it, we were discussing GTX260 192 vs the 512 HD4870 - we don't know how for the PCGH guys the 192 model performed. And this little piece of information is kinda vital to compare both cards, wouldn't you agree?

EDIT: Correction, running F3 at 1920x1080 on my HDTV. Still, quite a lot higher than 1680x1050.
No it really doesn't matter how the 192 model performs in that PCGH test because once again, it has the same amount of VRAM as the 216 version, so performance would never tank due solely to VRAM unlike the 512MB 4870. Based on other reviews you can predictably and accurately determine how much faster the 216 version is than the 192. You'd also see the 192 with 180 drivers is consistently faster than both 4870 offerings.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
Huh? You do realize Nvidia initiated this ATI price cut right? They cut the price of their C216 to $230-$250 weeks ago with news the vanilla 260 was going EOL, at which point it dropped to a sub-$200 price point. Just because your local vendors didn't get the memo doesn't mean its not true. ;)

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Qbah
Also, all the derailing and subtle marketing you NFGs do starts to make me dislike this place.

+1
In terms of prices...here in Canada the GTX 260-216 and 4870 1GB are much closer in price than there in the US...and the cheapest 260-192 is still about $250.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

Then why did you make that post ranting about NVIDIA when no one was talking about it? Let me refresh your memory...

Im actually disappointed with the outdated tech from Nvdia, nothing new in over 2 years and the next round doesn`t look any different...

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002

:(

On topic, price drops from any vendor are always welcome, no matter what the reason.