Prey 2 ? Will it ever show up ?

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
So what is the deal with this game? I for one have been looking forward to it, and now it seems they scrapped it, started over...didn't like what they had so far....started over from scratch "again"....or something to that effect.

So any of you think it'll ever see the light of day? I loved the first Prey. And I would much prefer a sequel, rather than a reboot.

Year old info: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/leaked-emails-reveal-prey-2-in-development-at-arkane/1100-6413054/

Leaked emails obtained by Kotaku reportedly confirm that development on Prey 2 has shifted to the Austin, Texas branch of Dishonored developer Arkane Studios.

Meanwhile, Arkane Studios' office in Lyon, France is working on a sequel or successor to Dishonored, according to a source familiar with the project.
The leaked emails from Arkane creative director Raphael Colantonio show that the Prey 2 reboot was greenlit in late May, information featured in a May 31 Kotaku report.

On the same day, Colantonio reportedly sent out an email informing staff not to speak with the press about the game. "Now that the news is out, we'll be contacted left and right by press sneak f***s who will want to know more. Please don't answer to any of their requests," he reportedly said.

According to the report, Arkane Austin plans to make Prey 2 a spiritual successor to System Shock 2 :confused:. None of the work former developer Human Head completed on the project will be used, according to one source.
Asked for comment on the report today, a Bethesda representative told GameSpot, "nope."

Prey 2 was officially announced in 2011, and a playable build of the game was shown off during the Electronic Entertainment Expo later in the year. The game was delayed in 2012 due to quality issues, while Bethesda said in June that the game is "simply not good enough."

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
They scrapped it? To be honest I think single player FPS games have probably had their day.

They're too expensive to produce with not much potential for replayability/fun for the gamers or continuous revenue for the developers. A bit like RTS games, expensive to make, generally not too rewarding financially.

Open world sandbox games or multiplayer (or both) are wheres its at IMO.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
They scrapped it? To be honest I think single player FPS games have probably had their day.

They're too expensive to produce with not much potential for replayability/fun for the gamers or continuous revenue for the developers. A bit like RTS games, expensive to make, generally not too rewarding financially.

Open world sandbox games or multiplayer (or both) are wheres its at IMO.

...singleplayer FPS games and open-world sandbox games are not mutually exclusive.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
...singleplayer FPS games and open-world sandbox games are not mutually exclusive.

Linear FPS games is what im getting at. You know the type I mean, doom 3, half life 2 etc. They were great but nowadays... theres better stuff.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
When Bethesda says it is "simply not good enough", it has got to be a massive stinker. I mean, this is the same company that put out Oblivion.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Linear FPS games is what im getting at. You know the type I mean, doom 3, half life 2 etc. They were great but nowadays... theres better stuff.

Very few if any of the FPS titles released in the last year or two are worth shouting about whether they're open world or online fragfests. Sometimes a gripping story in a SP FPS like HL2 can take over. Lets not forget SP FPS survived Unreal Tournament, Quake Arena etc.

Personally I prefer open world but I am no against linear if it's done well.

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
I really enjoyed the first one back in the early days of the Xbox 360. Followed some of the news when they showed Prey 2 off at E3 a few years back, then I never heard anything else after that and just forgot about it. I would still be interested if it is ever released.

SharpHawk

Jan 6, 2012
I really liked the beginning of Prey but it got really repetitive towards the end. Had TONS of fun with the multiplayer demo on the 360, though.

When Bethesda says it is "simply not good enough", it has got to be a massive stinker. I mean, this is the same company that put out Oblivion.

Zing! The recent Elder Scrolls/Fallout titles use one of the worst game engines I've seen in AAA gaming.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I really liked that game, and would welcome a sequel. Based on the info you provided, I wish they would abandon it and let someone else pick up the development rights. I think there are enough us out here that we could fund it through crowd sourcing.

Oh, and this thread delivers, the cat and dog avatars are great.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Welp, that's a shame. When they stop making SP FPS, I'll stop playing FPS. :'(

Same here. Not a fan of MP FPSes anymore. I got tired of strangers being douchebags when I played Counterstrike ten years ago. Since none of my friends pay video games any more, I have no interest in paying MP.