Previously leaked AMD "Fenghuang" is a semi-custom APU for Chinese console/gaming PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Maybe there will be two model ?
Probably not.
"Project S"? might have replaced Fenghuang Raven.

Project S is sort of like Cannonlake-Y on steroids:
One die of Zen2 cores, one die of Vega2(7nm Vega) or Navi, one KGD of 3D NAND, one KGD of HBMx.
The custom part that comes in is that Zen2/Vega2 do not have I/O other than SerDes. Those SerDes connect to a FDSOI die or <65-nm Bulk die which has the I/O options for HBM, NVMe, Off-package(PCIe, HDMI/DP, Wireless, etc). (#1 FDSOI is only included for McIVR-like voltage regulation with bipolar bias and high ADC/DAC perf for audio codec.)

I assume the S stands for System as it incorporates everything essential on the motherboard on to the package. (#1 Completely functioning System on Interposer or something like it. #2 Officially, it is system in package, whatever.)

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
It is not Fenghuang Raven SOC.

Fenghuang Raven has 28 CUs and HBM2 on the package.

is that HBM2 also as system ram?

in any case, even for the system from the OP, it will be interesting to run regular CPU memory tests and see how high it goes with GDDR5.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
It is not Fenghuang Raven SOC.

Fenghuang Raven has 28 CUs and HBM2 on the package.
Check out the new Anandtech article. It could have CUs disabled like they do on other consoles. It's not too hard to imagine that their semi-custom division can possibly swap out HBM PHYs for GDDR5 PHYs in a relatively short time frame.

Reactions: dark zero

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
Check out the new Anandtech article. It could have CUs disabled like they do on other consoles. It's not too hard to imagine that their semi-custom division can possibly swap out HBM PHYs for GDDR5 PHYs in a relatively short time frame.

I'm suspecting that full fat core will be windows based and the crippled one will be the console since it need consistent performance.

Reactions: dark zero

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
Probably not.
"Project S"? might have replaced Fenghuang Raven.

Project S is sort of like Cannonlake-Y on steroids:
One die of Zen2 cores, one die of Vega2(7nm Vega) or Navi, one KGD of 3D NAND, one KGD of HBMx.
The custom part that comes in is that Zen2/Vega2 do not have I/O other than SerDes. Those SerDes connect to a FDSOI die or <65-nm Bulk die which has the I/O options for HBM, NVMe, Off-package(PCIe, HDMI/DP, Wireless, etc). (#1 FDSOI is only included for McIVR-like voltage regulation with bipolar bias and high ADC/DAC perf for audio codec.)

I assume the S stands for System as it incorporates everything essential on the motherboard on to the package. (#1 Completely functioning System on Interposer or something like it. #2 Officially, it is system in package, whatever.)

Project s was Xbox one x

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Project s was Xbox one x
Project Scorpio != Project S

Other meaning for the S => Sisley, Signac, Seurat
Impressionist, Neo-impressionist, Post-Impressionist, by the way.

The S is not classified other than the previous name "Secret." Secret Project was then renamed to Project S. Maintaining the S as a shorten of the actual project name.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Wondering if Subor will use the CPU of Smach Z as a portable console and sell it with way cheaper prices than it... the basic version cost USD 699!

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
If so - it is NOT Fenghuang Raven sample.