Preventing door seals from freezing together?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Just moved back to NY, picked a great time to do it too. Anyhow, my car, originally from NY has gotten used to the Florida weather over the last 3 years. A little rain, sleet and freezing weather the first night I was here made it a pain to actually get into my car first thing in the morning. I used the old hot water trick to get in and it hasn't been wet/cold enough since to cause major issues, but hard winter is right around the corner.

My car has two sets of door seals, one on the body frame and one on the door frame. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do/apply to prevent them from freezing together. I assume it happens from moisture seepage that freezes, but I'm not sure of any tricks to prevent it. I'm thinking maybe coat/treat the seals with an oil of some sort. The seals themselves have grown naturally "sticky" a bit over the years, so that might help. I just don't want to ruin them.

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Just moved back to NY, picked a great time to do it too. Anyhow, my car, originally from NY has gotten used to the Florida weather over the last 3 years. A little rain, sleet and freezing weather the first night I was here made it a pain to actually get into my car first thing in the morning. I used the old hot water trick to get in and it hasn't been wet/cold enough since to cause major issues, but hard winter is right around the corner.

My car has two sets of door seals, one on the body frame and one on the door frame. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do/apply to prevent them from freezing together. I assume it happens from moisture seepage that freezes, but I'm not sure of any tricks to prevent it. I'm thinking maybe coat/treat the seals with an oil of some sort. The seals themselves have grown naturally "sticky" a bit over the years, so that might help. I just don't want to ruin them.

Thats what i'd suggest, but don't quote me.. Maybe a thin coating of vaseline or car wax?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I think WD40 will not be good for the seals.

I think PAM cooking spray will be okay.

RayH

Jun 30, 2000
Use Armor All or silicone spray on the seals and wax on any metal body parts they touch. Do not use any type of oil on rubber.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
My buddy John the car detailer sprays silicone on old hard weatherstripping. I imagine it would work well for stopping the sticking, too.

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
First, clean all grime off of door jambs on the body of the car where the rubber door seals mate. Then clean the rubber door seals themselves. It is the grit and grime on the door jambs that hold moisture and cause the rubber seals to freeze to the door jambs. I like to use silicone srpay on both surfaces once I have cleaned them thouroughly.

I will usually use Tri-flow in the door locks themselves. I use a tire valve stem with the schrader valve removed and butt the large round end of the tire stem against the door lock and then hit it with compressed air. This vaporises the Tri-flow and distributes it in all nooks and crannies of the lock mechanism and nearby assemblies. Also dissplaces any moisture with Tri-flow.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
When I was in Adak, Alaska, back in 96-97, I had the same problem a couple times. Ended up using petroleum jelly, but that's only cuz, being pretty much 1200 miles from civilization, it's all I could get my hands on. Definitely, since you can get it, use silicone spray.
For door locks, I prefer a dry lubricant, like graphite. Shoot some of that in there, maybe even with a backup shot of spray lubricant to make certain it's shot deeply into the lock, then (excuse the expression) key-fvck the lock a little bit. Guaranteed, you'll spread it quite well throughout the mechanism that way! ;)