pretty good outline of Iraq conflict

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
bmp

this should be required viewing. and I'm surprised why it hasn't sparked much criticizm. I'd like to hear some of the more knowledge folks around here qualify alot of what is said.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
There are to many facts for pro-War zealots to handle in this link. They might actually come to grips with their huge mistake they dragged this country into and their massive ignorance of the history of the region.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Drift3r
There are to many facts for pro-War zealots to handle in this link. They might actually come to grips with their huge mistake they dragged this country into and their massive ignorance of the history of the region.

I don't find this information pro-war or anti-war.

Rather it appears to be an objective academic-type assesment of where we are. Not how we got there.

It concludes by arguing the necessity of regional diplomacy for any withdrawl of our forces. IMO, the preceeding portion (analysis of Shia vs Sunni and info on Iraq's neighbors) was the underlying argument for the conclusion of regional diplomacy needs.

I found myself thinking the current focus on intra regional Iraqi political agreement may be overstated and a diversion from more important issues. If Iraq has "people" flooding into from all it's neighboring countries - some Sunni, some Shia - to fight, such things as oil sharing agreements and the like aren't going to help in any meaningful way.

If regional diplomacy is successful at stopping the flow of these "people" into Iraq it seems it will have a much chance at stabilising itself.

I'm curious to see if anybody comes to refute the author.

Fern

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
Syria is ruled by Alawi

Interesting. I've never heard of Alawi before your post.

While watching the video I was thinking:

Let the Kurds have a new country to the north, with a bit of additional land to be ceded to the Kurds by Iran and Turkey,

Let Jordan annex the Sunni triangle of Iraq, because they're both Sunni, and Jordan has the stable government capable of exercising governance of that region,

Let what is presently the Shia southern area of Iraq, bordering Kuwait, become the new country of Iraq, thus shrinking Iraq.

And finally, let Iran get outta there, and move back behind it's traditional border. Why does Iran have to aggress into the area provoking lots of trouble? Go away in peace, Iran.

Sep 12, 2004
:confused:

Did we watch the same video?

It's a nice little primer for the kindergarten crew that doesn't know much about the various ethnicities and religious divisons in the ME. It sure doesn't really argue much as to why we are in Iraq though, which is supposedly it's primary premise. It's more about why the ME is such a big flustercluck in the first place and has been for centuries.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
:confused:

Did we watch the same video?

It's a nice little primer for the kindergarten crew that doesn't know much about the various ethnicities and religious divisons in the ME. It sure doesn't really argue much as to why we are in Iraq though, which is supposedly it's primary premise. It's more about why the ME is such a big flustercluck in the first place and has been for centuries.

Well it was about the most concise primer this kindergarener has ever seen.

And I didn't take it as a statement on why we are there, but as you said, as to why the ME is a mess, and how its always been one.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: JackMDS
Originally posted by: maddogchen
didn't know Syria was led by a minority Shiite faction.

Well the Video presentation forgot to mention that Syria is ruled by Alawi.

This is yet another Muslim Sect. It closer to the Shi'ite, but it is a separate sect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alawite

Alawites are a minority but serve in some top military positions - hence the Syrian ties to Iran.

Sunnis still predominate overwhelmingly in Syria - but it is much more 'secular'. Baathists are the majority party and in Syria they are a bit more 'tolerant' of religious minorities.

Assad's father was at one time one of our 'friendly blood thirsty terrorist dictator' friends.

Oct 27, 2007
Fascinating, informative and balanced. I wouldn't have read it if it wasn't stickied so thanks. In my opinion it should remain stickied for a while.