Pretty cool fable.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I always liked the story about George Washington....

How he chopped down his father's cherry tree. When confronted by his father he said, "father, I cannot tell a lie. I chopped down the cherry tree." And that is why they called him Honest Abe.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Speaking of Elephants......

Birdie Birdie in the sky
You drop whitewash in my eye
I'm not mad and I'm not sad
I'm just glad elephants don't fly!

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Yeah, its a good fable, you see it alot these days. Most college kids who have very strong opinions on things usually have only one side of the argument at best and little understanding of the whole thing for example. One always needs to be sure when arguing a point that they understand all sides. One thing I try to do is never argue a point unless I cannot understand the other sides points. If you find yourself thinking "I absolutely do not understand how someone could believe something like that" then often that is a sign of your own ignorance and not theirs. For example if you do not understand why anyone from a Muslim nation might hate the US or Israel then you need to do some more research there. Or if you cannot understand how anyone could be against universal healthcare then you need to do mroe research. In every argument there are several GOOD points each of which makes sense from one point of view.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Yeah, its a good fable, you see it alot these days. Most college kids who have very strong opinions on things usually have only one side of the argument at best and little understanding of the whole thing for example. One always needs to be sure when arguing a point that they understand all sides. One thing I try to do is never argue a point unless I cannot understand the other sides points. If you find yourself thinking "I absolutely do not understand how someone could believe something like that" then often that is a sign of your own ignorance and not theirs. For example if you do not understand why anyone from a Muslim nation might hate the US or Israel then you need to do some more research there. Or if you cannot understand how anyone could be against universal healthcare then you need to do mroe research. In every argument there are several GOOD points each of which makes sense from one point of view.

Wrong thread.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Baloo
Originally posted by: BrownTown

Wrong thread.

Good post though, and very true.