Press slants Iraq news

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
[ ... ]Why do "you" dismiss any progress that gets posted as flag waving?
We don't. That's just another distortion to distract from the serious problems we're encountering in Iraq and our lack of a plan for getting out. Plus some of the alleged progress really is empty flag waving.

I'm perfectly happy to hear good new from Iraq when it's real. I wish there were more of it.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
[ ... ]Why do "you" dismiss any progress that gets posted as flag waving?
We don't. That's just another distortion to distract from the serious problems we're encountering in Iraq and our lack of a plan for getting out. Plus some of the alleged progress really is empty flag waving.

I'm perfectly happy to hear good new from Iraq when it's real. I wish there were more of it.

It is there, but yes I wish more of it was being reported as I also wish for continued progress. If one looks at the threads that have reported "progress" or other good things happening in Iraq - one will see that the "flag waving" accusation is heavily used.

CkG

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000

Isn't that what you people are clammoring for?

You know Cad, I always try to listen to your opinion, but when you make comments that start with "you people", it makes me wonder if I should...

Also, you are starting to be quite the one sided person. Case in point. You accuse me of being like the whatever his name was guy who started all those Larouche threads when I post a couple of threads about Wesley Clark and his background for people like me who are not that familiar with him, but XZeroII starts a few threads on the same day with attacks on him not more than a couple days after he entered the race, and not a peep from the outspoken Cad.

As much as I disagree with you most of the time, I still pay attention to what you post so I don't have a one sided view of things...maybe you should try that yourself sometime.

:)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Insane3D

Isn't that what you people are clammoring for?

You know Cad, I always try to listen to your opinion, but when you make comments that start with "you people", it makes me wonder if I should...

How would you like me to say it?
Liberals?
The left?
or "you people" which implies that if the shoe fits...wear it.

Cripes - I try to not "label" and still get accused of something...whatever it is that you are trying to accuse me of.

Edit - for your edit. So you are saying my silence is "acceptance"? I do believe that I get ridiculed for using that same type of argument;) Either way - I don't support having a billion threads for each person. Oh - and I think you missed the ;) after that LaRouche comment.

CkG

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
20.3 Billion $$$ - Iraq Spending Plan (From FOX)

This will greatly improve the Iraqi public : <STRONG>$9 million to modernize Iraq's postal system, including establishment of ZIP codes.

</STRONG>I can hardly wait to see the benefit of that !
------------------------------------------------------------------------
<STRONG>$30 million to provide half-day classes in English for 5,000 workers.

</STRONG>$30 Million devided by 5,000 is only $ 6,000 per person for a half day class, but for how long ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can bet that Brown & Root (Haliburton) will be getting 90% of this allocation of money.

Hard to see your point??
If you wanted to get an economy functioning again, wouldn't an efficient mail system for business communication be a high priority?
Budget numbers are usually annual numbers. The English class budget sounds right.
Brown & Root certainly won't get 90% of the money. There are a large number of other contractors and subcontractors. It's very fashionable to hate big corporations but they have the experience and resources to get the job done. This certainly isn't the situation to use a bunch of politically correct startup companies.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
CAD -

I'm not trying to "accuse" you of anything. I just don't understand why you try to lump all the people who don't feel the way you do into this "group". Do you really think everyone here who doesn't agree with you thinks the same about everything? I lean a bit left of the center on some issues, but does that make me the same as the Kamazon guy?

The point I'm trying to make is as soon as you lump certain people in a group, it's easy to disregard them and ignore what they have to say. For you that would be liberal's or lefties, or whatever. IMO, as soon as you do that, you miss out and start to have a more one sided view of things.

Even though I rarely agree with you, or etech, or others, I still respect your opinion, and listen to what you all say. because there is always that chance that, from time to time, I will find myself agreeing with you.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Insane3D
CAD -

I'm not trying to "accuse" you of anything. I just don't understand why you try to lump all the people who don't feel the way you do into this "group". Do you really think everyone here who doesn't agree with you thinks the same about everything? I lean a bit left of the center on some issues, but does that make me the same as the Kamazon guy?

The point I'm trying to make is as soon as you lump certain people in a group, it's easy to disregard them and ignore what they have to say. For you that would be liberal's or lefties, or whatever. IMO, as soon as you do that, you miss out and start to have a more one sided view of things.

Even though I rarely agree with you, or etech, or others, I still respect your opinion, and listen to what you all say. because there is always that chance that, from time to time, I will find myself agreeing with you.

See my edit first:)

Your argument about me looks to be another of those "open-minded"(or lack of) type accusations. I do listen to the "other" side, it's just that I happen to disagree with them. I feel strongly about my opinions because they are based on my principles and morals. Being open-minded doesn't mean that I can't always disagree with you or anybody else. Incase you haven't noticed - I am a fairly conservative minded - meaning that the Conservative ideals resemble my own;) So yes - it is only natural that a more Liberal minded person and I will tend to disagree - but again - this doesn't mean that I(or conservatives) aren't "open-minded" and don't listen to the other side.

But since you are expecting this - I'll say it - I dismiss "the left's" opinion ...because "they" are wrong;):p
:D

CkG

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Cad, I think you misunderstood my point. I was not accusing you of anything, just offering up an observation. I also did not say being open minded meant you could not disagree. I fully expect you and I, or you and others who are more left leaning to disagree most of the time. I was just pointing out that trying to generalize about a group of people is rarely accurate, and instantly disagreeing with them before you even hear what they have to say is not a good idea...again IMO.

Regardless, I think we are in agreement for the most part, so it's cool. :p :Q

;)