Presidential debates who comes up with the questions?

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
I think at the beginning of the first debate the moderator said only he knew what the questions were. I don't recall if he said anything about getting input from others or if he alone came up with a list of what to ask.

There may be a web site which takes questions. I don't know.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
They are solely at the descretion of the moderator,Jim Leher. I suppose he as ways of taking the pulse of the nation. You can try to contact him by Email. Perhaps there is a link in the PBS website.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Gore and Bush are highly prepped for any standard political question. I'd like to see the moderator shake 'em up a bit with more hard hitting questions -- you just never see a candidate really stumped on a question. Why not get Bush to talk about his record on pollution in TX? Why not get Gore to speak to issues of campaign fund-raising? I'm tired of pre-canned answers.

Eeks

Dec 8, 1999
Submit it here. Jim reads this forum regularily, for just this reason.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
the third debate is supposed to be in "town hall" meeting style, where the candidates will take questions from those in attendance.

so if you can get in there...

denali

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
My understanding is however that in the "Town Hall" style debates the screen the questions that are going to be asked. I guess you could always lie to get selected.