Presidential Debate #1

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
"Bork" is a verb for character assassination thanks to conservative political outlets using it as such in editorials with the first example found prior to the close of the hearing. It became so popular amongst conservatives writers bitter about the influence of people in a coordinated campaign pointing out Borks history opposing things such as civil rights, womens rights and political speech led to entering the political lexicon.

Do I really need to go further and explain this all out for you or do you want to continue to play this game?
The Republicans got their hopes up that their precious Federalist society pipeline was bullet proof and got called out for putting forth an asshole simply because on paper he seemed like he would sail through. When Bork's actual history inspired tons of people to step up and launch a coordinated campaign to prevent him from getting in.

Conservative played victim and blamed those worried about Bork's record than actually blaming Borks record.

I will grant you 1 college credit for this lesson but you need to paypal me tuition and fees
I am not arguing in favor of bork. Where the House is meant to be the unruly and scrappy side of governance, the Senate is a governing body built on tradition and decorum. Ted Kennedy broke from tradition and decorum in a way that escalated the increasing bitter partisanship over judicial appointments, and Harry Reid lost the forest for the trees in removing filibuster protections for the minority party.

The GOP had done a better job of building its bench of judged aimed at SCOTUS, Democrats have attempted to throw wrenches into the gears and cry foul when the GOP escalates and responds in kind. Stacking SCOTUS is just one more escalation. Do I also have to pay you for the Cracker Jack box you send the lesson plan in?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Please send the Cracker Jack box and I will send you an autographed picture of Thurgood Marshall.
Had I known you wanted to discuss Senate history I would have worn sweatpants.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
I am not arguing in favor of bork. Where the House is meant to be the unruly and scrappy side of governance, the Senate is a governing body built on tradition and decorum. Ted Kennedy broke from tradition and decorum in a way that escalated the increasing bitter partisanship over judicial appointments, and Harry Reid lost the forest for the trees in removing filibuster protections for the minority party.

The GOP had done a better job of building its bench of judged aimed at SCOTUS, Democrats have attempted to throw wrenches into the gears and cry foul when the GOP escalates and responds in kind. Stacking SCOTUS is just one more escalation. Do I also have to pay you for the Cracker Jack box you send the lesson plan in?

You remind me of the adage that when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail. You ignore so much in your position that it is almost like someone could interpret it a deliberate attempt.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

You omitted a step before Reid, Mitch and the Republicans filibustering Obama judges.

If you are going to make a point at least be honest

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You remind me of the adage that when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail. You ignore so much in your position that it is almost like someone could interpret it a deliberate attempt.
Thank you for your concern

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Excuse me, but WI, MI, PA & NC have Democratic governors whose authority oversees the election process. Legislatures play no part.
In WI in the lame duck session (after GOP governor lost) the legislature passed a bill signed into law by that defeated GOP governor which neutered much of the governor's power, transferring it to the legislature. Don't underestimate their ability to play dirty, ever.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
In WI in the lame duck session (after GOP governor lost) the legislature passed a bill signed into law by that defeated GOP governor which neutered much of the governor's power, transferring it to the legislature. Don't underestimate their ability to play dirty, ever.

Which does not describe the current situation. The GOP will talk all kinds of stupid shit over the next month. Just vote.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So your mouse was borked and duping?

A single click apparently resulted in 2 clicks so close together that forum software made 2 posts. Or something. A different mouse solved the problem. The old one was quite ancient.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
If anyone still thinks that Trump won the debate, well...Biden’s lead just doubled.

NBC/WSJ now has Biden at +14 nationally—his largest lead of the race thus far. Pool was conducted after the debate but before Trump tested positive (well, at least before it became public.)

• Wow
Reactions: Fenixgoon

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
If anyone still thinks that Trump won the debate, well...Biden’s lead just doubled.

NBC/WSJ now has Biden at +14 nationally—his largest lead of the race thus far. Pool was conducted after the debate but before Trump tested positive (well, at least before it became public.)

As long as Dem's dont think it's in the bag and get lazy about voting, I'm cool with this.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

I'm guessing that Trump's hopes for a sympathy bounce in polls might have gone out the window. It'd be good to see more polls, but this might indicate that people see Trump's sickness as proof of incompetence.

And if that +14 result is comparable to what you get from other polls... that's "Biden wins unambiguously" territory, where it could be very difficult for Republicans to suppress enough of the vote to win.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
As long as Dem's dont think it's in the bag and get lazy about voting, I'm cool with this.

Nuh-uhh. Dems know full well that's what happened last time. She was gonna win anyway, remember? In the meanwhile, Trump made himself the most despised asshole in America. Dem turnout will be huge.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Nuh-uhh. Dems know full well that's what happened last time. She was gonna win anyway, remember? In the meanwhile, Trump made himself the most despised asshole in America. Dem turnout will be huge.

I mean, my optimistic side is like "hell yeah", then I remember how deluded my follow Americans are. I sure hope you're right sir

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I'm guessing that Trump's hopes for a sympathy bounce in polls might have gone out the window. It'd be good to see more polls, but this might indicate that people see Trump's sickness as proof of incompetence.

And if that +14 result is comparable to what you get from other polls... that's "Biden wins unambiguously" territory, where it could be very difficult for Republicans to suppress enough of the vote to win.
We all know it is not the popular vote that counts. That is why polls like this are encouraging, but still makes me nervous.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
We all know it is not the popular vote that counts. That is why polls like this are encouraging, but still makes me nervous.

True, but when you break it down to the battleground states Trump looks like a Loser, and has for some while.

Use the drop down to see individual states. Trump is in deep shit in AZ, WI, MI & PA, not so hot in FL, as well as very iffy in OH, NC & GA.

It's all in the turnout. Biden voters all over the country see it the same as Joe- "I can hardly wait" to kick Trump's ass.

Reactions: Ken g6

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
True, but when you break it down to the battleground states Trump looks like a Loser, and has for some while.

Use the drop down to see individual states. Trump is in deep shit in AZ, WI, MI & PA, not so hot in FL, as well as very iffy in OH, NC & GA.

It's all in the turnout. Biden voters all over the country see it the same as Joe- "I can hardly wait" to kick Trump's ass.

It amazing how this has evolved. A few weeks ago it was 70/30 Biden. This late movement is a good sign, but we still need to get out and vote.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Oh, absolutely — I just think a margin like this would leave a lot of Republicans panicking if it translates to real votes. Jordan, Gaetz et. al. better have backup plans, because "kissing Trump's ass" might not be a viable career play for much longer.