Presidential Debate #1

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It did, and I happen to understand why the SCOTUS intervened. It was because the Brooks Bros riot stopped the Gore requested recount in Miami Dade county & there wasn't enough time to proceed with it before the electoral college deadline. That set of circumstances simply won't exist. If anybody demands recounts, it'll likely be Trump & nobody will get in the way. It'll be good for a laugh after Trump gets his ass kicked in AZ & across the upper midwest, maybe FL & NC too. Maybe more.

The idea of this nation behaving calm and orderly with regards to something so important.... is an interesting idea.
I posit that the fervor of divergent realities between the two parties has made rational proceedings all but impossible.
But we will certainly see sooner rather than later. I wish you, and our nation, luck at proving that we are better than I fear we are.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I was around for those hearings and the opposition was legit. It's not "character assassination" when you are pointing out Borks published and legal history of hostility towards civil rights, LGBT and being a general prick of man.
If you are fine with a supreme court justice who believes Freedom of Speech is only protected when its political speech and all other speech is not observed...then he's your guy
If you believe the Civil rights act is bullshit...then he's your guy.
If you want someone who is willing to act in an unethical manner on befalf of the president then he's your guy.
The only people morning the loss of Bork are those who are pissed off about black, gays and non-evangeilcal people daring to open their motuhs when Jesus is speaking.

A basic review of Supreme Court nominations, failed and successful would probably be useful for you.
Can you point me to any other SCOTUS nominee who has a verb named after him or her in the Webster dictionary based on their treatment during confirmation? I suppose we may one day see the term “garlanded” but there is a reason “borked” has a connotation of SCOTUS political character assassination.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
OMG, OMG, OMG (Fifth Element reference - I love that movie). I hope the whole first family is not affected. Seriously, he fucked up so bad that his advisors told him this is the only way out, possibly.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The idea of this nation behaving calm and orderly with regards to something so important.... is an interesting idea.
I posit that the fervor of divergent realities between the two parties has made rational proceedings all but impossible.
But we will certainly see sooner rather than later. I wish you, and our nation, luck at proving that we are better than I fear we are.

There is only one reality & Trump supporters' relationship with it is tenuous at best.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Can you point me to any other SCOTUS nominee who has a verb named after him or her in the Webster dictionary based on their treatment during confirmation? I suppose we may one day see the term “garlanded” but there is a reason “borked” has a connotation of SCOTUS political character assassination.

Who cares. It’s a word. Maybe soon we’ll have the word “tRumped” meaning narcissist, lying, scoundrel or someone incapable of thinking of anyone but himself.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Who cares. It’s a word. Maybe soon we’ll have the word “tRumped” meaning narcissist, lying, scoundrel or someone incapable of thinking of anyone but himself.

33 years later, his Outrage! is obviously contrived. It's ridiculous, but that never stopped him before.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Bork was a piece of shit who followed the orders of a criminal President trying to cover up his criminal activities.

What a fucking travesty that Bork, a piece of shit, didn't get to also get an appointment to the Supreme Court for his helping a criminal President cover up crimes.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Bork was a piece of shit who followed the orders of a criminal President trying to cover up his criminal activities.

What a fucking travesty that Bork, a piece of shit, didn't get to also get an appointment to the Supreme Court for his helping a criminal President cover up crimes.

Even worse, the push back because of his malfeasance was so harsh it is now part of the lexicon; therefore, it’s bothsides yadda, yadda, yadda, reasons. Bork got borked.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Can you point to an article or video when that term was first used? Because my research shows it was coined in 91, 3-4 years after he was voted down in a bipartisan vote. You can read about it from contemporary articles of the time. Contentious? Yeah. A character assassination? No more than calling trump a liar is one. The attacks on him were based on his own record and he failed to sell himself because he came off as uncaring and a wonk.

The reason the term exists is because the gop are masters at branding and getting gullible, uncritical people to repeat it and buy into their narrative.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
I thought the debate was the funniest thing I'd see this week, but then I found this thread. Thanks guys! :tearsofjoy:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
They need a big bomb to drop and hope to navigate the fallout... like a war or something else uuuge...
So Trump found his bomb.... growing a whole new bone spur, he is naming it covid19, who here actually believes he tested positive? Now he is trying the sympathy angle.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
So Trump found his bomb.... growing a whole new bone spur, he is naming it covid19, who here actually believes he tested positive? Now he is trying the sympathy angle.

I doubt he would ever disclose he was positive even if he does test +. That would destroy his "the worst has passed, it's almost over" If he admitted he had it (if he does) he would be admitting he was wrong, or at least I'm sure that's how he would see it with his logic. And it wouldn't just effect his followers, but Fox News too. Both of which downplay Covid at every chance they get. If their glorious leader contracted it, shit would really hit the fan. Remember a decent chunk of his cult still insist the virus is a hoax by the Democrats. How could their lord and savior contract a hoax?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I doubt he would ever disclose he was positive even if he does test +. That would destroy his "the worst has passed, it's almost over" If he admitted he had it (if he does) he would be admitting he was wrong, or at least I'm sure that's how he would see it with his logic. And it wouldn't just effect his followers, but Fox News too. Both of which downplay Covid at every chance they get. If their glorious leader contracted it, shit would really hit the fan. Remember a decent chunk of his cult still insist the virus is a hoax by the Democrats. How could their lord and savior contract a hoax?
His base aint rocking no matter what... time to try something new. OTOH maybe he gets on a flight to Moscow for a special “treatment”.
The WH knew about Hicks wedensday??

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Russia does have a vaccine for which they are releasing preliminary data

Link says the data they're going to release will likely be uninterpretable. So just in time for the election, there's proof of a vaccine! Just as Trump proclaimed except well, there's no actual proof it works because the data supporting it's gibberish at this point. But it could work... That sounds about Trump to me. I'm sure he'll run with it though. And even if this vaccine turns out to be the real deal, Trump had absolutely nothing to do with it, so why would he expect anyone to want to reelect him because of what Russia did.

Now I'm making the assumption Trump will Tweet about this and somehow try and take a form of credit for it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
He won't like that and I don't expect it to happen. What I expect is some concession to orderly behavior, but not the real thing. Hopefully something will happen in the interim that blows the whole thing out of the water. In 2020, nothing's impossible.
Yeah, I said that last night. And this morning I wake up and the bomb has dropped: T(&M) have the virus! Debates disappear? Maybe. Better yet, the asshole's polling continues to tank until he's lost Lost LOST the election.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Link says the data they're going to release will likely be uninterpretable. So just in time for the election, there's proof of a vaccine! Just as Trump proclaimed except well, there's no actual proof it works because the data supporting it's gibberish at this point. But it could work... That sounds about Trump to me. I'm sure he'll run with it though. And even if this vaccine turns out to be the real deal, Trump had absolutely nothing to do with it, so why would he expect anyone to want to reelect him because of what Russia did.

Now I'm making the assumption Trump will Tweet about this and somehow try and take a form of credit for it.

This is to the *I'd rather be a Russian* crowd, or those that may flip.
If Putin rides in bare back and launders this vaccine with Trump via state tv (Fox, Sinclair, OAN), how many deplorables do you see flipping for the glory of Trumputin?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

"Bork" is a verb for character assassination thanks to conservative political outlets using it as such in editorials with the first example found prior to the close of the hearing. It became so popular amongst conservatives writers bitter about the influence of people in a coordinated campaign pointing out Borks history opposing things such as civil rights, womens rights and political speech led to entering the political lexicon.

Do I really need to go further and explain this all out for you or do you want to continue to play this game?
The Republicans got their hopes up that their precious Federalist society pipeline was bullet proof and got called out for putting forth an asshole simply because on paper he seemed like he would sail through. When Bork's actual history inspired tons of people to step up and launch a coordinated campaign to prevent him from getting in.

Conservative played victim and blamed those worried about Bork's record than actually blaming Borks record.

I will grant you 1 college credit for this lesson but you need to paypal me tuition and fees