Presidential Debate #1

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
But if the rules basically disable his "style" that, being a bully, then he can't participate.
He won't like that and I don't expect it to happen. What I expect is some concession to orderly behavior, but not the real thing. Hopefully something will happen in the interim that blows the whole thing out of the water. In 2020, nothing's impossible.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
They won't bail out. They need a flip of the script. They're brainstorming, trying to get some angle, some wedge into Biden's armor. Trump's personal instinct is to try to get under his opponent's skin. He's been doing this since he threw his hat in the ring in 2016. He isn't going to stop. Any chance he gets he's on attack. People noticed he's got no plans for the country. Maybe he'll throw some meat on that fire in the next debates.
They need a big bomb to drop and hope to navigate the fallout... like a war or something else uuuge...

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Explain to us the so called Democrat bias with mail in voting. Republicans for at least 30 years have been big fans of mail in voting. They wanted the time extended for military ballots during Bush v Gore.

You live in a blue state, blue county then?
Have you seen Republicans attack others for wearing masks, or asking for one to be worn?
The two parties live in different realities - and have VERY DIFFERENT reactions to the pandemic... I mean the "hoax".

I linked this before, surprised you didn't see it.

First and foremost, a partisan split has already occurred.
In North Carolina, 643,400 voters have requested an absentee ballot as of Sept. 3. Of those requests, 337,362 were made by registered Democrats and 103,620 by registered Republicans.
Which leads us to:

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night
A “red mirage” on election night and a post-election “blue shift” could lead to an unprecedented constitutional crisis just as the Supreme Court is in turmoil.

Democrats are using mail in ballots 3 to 1 over Republicans. Trump will win on November 3rd, then fight like hell to stop the count of so many Democrat ballots.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Have you seen Republicans attack others for wearing masks, or asking for one to be worn?
The two parties live in different realities - and have VERY DIFFERENT reactions to the pandemic... I mean the "hoax".

Democrats are using mail in ballots 3 to 1 over Republicans. Trump will win on November 3rd, then fight like hell to stop the count of so many Democrat ballots.
There would be far less risk of said crisis if states were remotely rational, and started validating and counting mail-in ballots a week or two in advance of election. But while many states already do this, that is still illegal in several key swing states. Say hello to deliberate and unnecessary chaos from Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania (among others), as wonderful examples that have a ban on even starting on processing, much less counting, any mail-in ballots until election day.

Reactions: Jaskalas

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Trump just tweeted he doesn't want any rule changes because he thinks he won.

Sure looks to me like debates #2 & 3 won't be happening. Probably a good thing for mental health-too much exposure to Trump's BS and ranting tends to elevate anxiety and blood pressure.

Reactions: Muse

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

That's alarmist bullshit. Fight how, exactly? Exhort his followers to overthrow state govts, or what?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
That's alarmist bullshit. Fight how, exactly? Exhort his followers to overthrow state govts, or what?
They already control state governments. Despite finally getting a clue in 2018, the Dems are a long way from winning back the state houses they ignored for decades.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
They already control state governments. Despite finally getting a clue in 2018, the Dems are a long way from winning back the state houses they ignored for decades.
They didn't ignore them, they were gerrymandered just like congressional districts.

Reactions: Thump553

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
They didn't ignore them, they were gerrymandered just like congressional districts.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Excuse me, but WI, MI, PA & NC have Democratic governors whose authority oversees the election process. Legislatures play no part.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Hope Hicks has tested positive for covid. She was at the debate with trump, and I believe she was on Air Force One to and from the debate.

• Love
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Hope Hicks has tested positive for covid. She was at the debate with trump, and I believe she was on Air Force One to and from the debate.

She was also on Marine 1 all day Wednesday. So were Kushner, Miller and Trump.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yes but according to the rules in place, at least as of this article being written, a number of those states won't start counting until election day.

So what? They'll count until they're done according to law, despite whatever bullshit Trump can muster. We'll see them wrangling up to election day but whatever rules are in place at that time will be set in stone. They're already losing & it won't get any better for them, because it won't even be close where it matters the most.

Jan 25, 2011
Well, I’m betting he found his way out of the next debate. He will say he has to quarantine for two weeks because of Hicks. The 14th day would be the day of the next debate.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Hope Hicks tested positive. That means there is a chance, however slim, that Trump literally takes himself out of the race. Man wouldn't that make all this even more fun. He doesn't have to die of course, he could just become more of a vegetable for a few months or years, that would work too. He just needs to go. If it turns out to be the work of mother nature and his own stupidity and pride, fine by me. This asshole should have been 25th'ed a long time ago.

I just saw Team Treason is now officially against any changes in format for the next debate. What a shock. Big Baby doesn't deserve the Mute button, Baby Baby is entitled to scream and sling his own feces god damn it.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Hopefully nobody got exposed during the debate...Trump was exceptionally vociferous this go around.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's like Bush V Gore never happened in your world?

It did, and I happen to understand why the SCOTUS intervened. It was because the Brooks Bros riot stopped the Gore requested recount in Miami Dade county & there wasn't enough time to proceed with it before the electoral college deadline. That set of circumstances simply won't exist. If anybody demands recounts, it'll likely be Trump & nobody will get in the way. It'll be good for a laugh after Trump gets his ass kicked in AZ & across the upper midwest, maybe FL & NC too. Maybe more.