President, Vice President Of Taiwan Were Shot...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: DaFinn
Originally posted by: CrackaLackaZe
Eh? Why would the US be dragged into war? The article says the US, along with France, Germany, South Korea, and Japan are FOR a One China Policy, whereas Chen is NOT.

Don't just quote half the article.

You think that US would take China's side if they chose to invade Taiwan? You think US is giving Taiwan the latest technology and weapon systems, because they are for one China policy. You think that the US Navy presence in Taiwan is because they want China to invade.

I think, you need to think again...

You think U.S. will have anything to gain by protecting Taiwan's freedom? You think there is oil in Taiwan? You think all the coporations that invested in China will let the government do this? You don't think we made tons of money by selling the weapons to Taiwan? You think U.S. is really this great of a country that protects other people's freedom out of goodwill?

I think you need to think again, every country has their own agendas, and protecting Taiwan outta goodwill is not one of them simply because in this cruel world, the cons outweighs the pros if we decide to go into this mess.

Then again, neither China or Taiwan will do anything other than a stalemate, because they also have their own agendas, they know whats best for them. and the best situation right now is not to make any bold moves such as declaring independence or declaring an invasion, because both will have more to lose than they will gain from doing such things.

NewSc2

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by: MAME
don't make fun of dawhim, a lot of people disagree with lots of different world leaders. Why do you think we're at war in the first place?

Thank you for sharing your opinion dawhim

Wishing death upon world leaders isn't disagreeing with them. Many Americans don't agree with Jacques Chirac, but I hope none want him assassinated.

NewSc2

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Imdmn04
Eh? Why would the US be dragged into war? The article says the US, along with France, Germany, South Korea, and Japan are FOR a One China Policy, whereas Chen is NOT.

You think that US would take China's side if they chose to invade Taiwan? You think US is giving Taiwan the latest technology and weapon systems, because they are for one China policy. You think that the US Navy presence in Taiwan is because they want China to invade.

You think U.S. will have anything to gain by protecting Taiwan's freedom? You think there is oil in Taiwan? You think all the coporations that invested in China will let the government do this? You don't think we made tons of money by selling the weapons to Taiwan? You think U.S. is really this great of a country that protects other people's freedom out of goodwill?

I think you need to think again, every country has their own agendas, and protecting Taiwan outta goodwill is not one of them simply because in this cruel world, the cons outweighs the pros if we decide to go into this mess.

Then again, neither China or Taiwan will do anything other than a stalemate, because they also have their own agendas, they know whats best for them. and the best situation right now is not to make any bold moves such as declaring independence or declaring an invasion, because both will have more to lose than they will gain from doing such things.

Do you think the US has anything to gain by supporting Israel, its ally, so much? Doesn't look like it, but we still do. You can't turn your back on allies just because a new big neighbor is in town.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: NewSc2
don't make fun of dawhim, a lot of people disagree with lots of different world leaders. Why do you think we're at war in the first place?

Wishing death upon world leaders isn't disagreeing with them. Many Americans don't agree with Jacques Chirac, but I hope none want him assassinated.

You'd have to be pretty nieve to think no one wishes him dead

CrackaLackaZe

Jun 29, 2002
Do you think the US has anything to gain by supporting Israel, its ally, so much? Doesn't look like it, but we still do. You can't turn your back on allies just because a new big neighbor is in town.

I dont think the US will go to war against China. There would be a lot of opposition and risk.

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000

I dont think the US will go to war against China. There would be a lot of opposition and risk.

that, and the chinese PLA is the largest army in the world. not that that would stop us tho.

i smell some communist sympathizers in here <cough,dawhim>. doesn't this belong in PN? i'm not complaining.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Imdmn04

Hell yes I do, US and Isreal are fvck buddies. The place in the world that US has most troubles with is the middle east. Isreal is our watchdog in this respect. This gives US some foothold in the middle east. Also don't forget get coporate America is controlled by many jews, and this is the same coporate america that invested tons of money in China.

luvya

Banned
Nov 19, 2001

You'd have to be pretty nieve to think no one wishes him dead

Let me guess? You from China? Or the so-called "blue" voters in taiwan?

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000

Speaking out your opinion is one thing, but 'hoping someone would die' is a rather immature statement. DaWhim is entitled to his opinion, while others are similarly entitled to their opinions which are against his.

anyway, now here's my crazy thought.

[crack mode]
me think it is all conspiracy: President Chen assigned someone within his party to fabricate a fake-assassination. Someone will shoot non-lethally him just hours before the election, so that he could win sympathy votes and STILL win the election.
[mode off]

j@cko

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2000
It was a wound in the abdomen, such setup is too risky. It could have paralyze President Chen if it was mishot..... Such of an attempt or assumption is just outrageously ridiculous.

CrackaLackaZe

Jun 29, 2002
me think it is all conspiracy: President Chen assigned someone within his party to fabricate a fake-assassination. Someone will shoot non-lethally him just hours before the election, so that he could win sympathy votes and STILL win the election.

Kinda reminds me of 'Born To Be King'.

AdmiralTiger

Feb 17, 2003

Kinda reminds me of 'Born To Be King'.

If there's one thing I hate, it's conspiracy theorists.
rolleye.gif
I believe I had a knack, a feeling if you will - that there would be an assassination attempt somewhere in the world. Unfortunately for me, it did happen in a country where most of our motherboards come from. I'm glad both of them have injuries that aren't life-threatening, and I sure do hope they win the election, because anything short of that would amount to a Chinese re-unification. There's another thing I'm hoping it doesn't happen - an assassination attempt in our own country - that would be devastating. The last time it happened, Clinton was in the White House, and Pennsylvania Ave section of the White House was open at the time. ::knocks on wood as he falls asleep:: Haven't slept yet. YIKES!

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: andylawcc

Speaking out your opinion is one thing, but 'hoping someone would die' is a rather immature statement. DaWhim is entitled to his opinion, while others are similarly entitled to their opinions which are against his.

[crack mode]
[mode off]

I hope dawhim dies while drinking bubble tea. So I guess that also makes me immature.

Your theory did came across my mind. But who would have the most to gain from this? Perhaps less people would vote for him out of the fear of violence.

I really really really hate mainland conservative Chinese people.

luvya

Banned
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Pepsei
Originally posted by: andylawcc

[crack mode]
[mode off]

I hope dawhim dies while drinking bubble tea. So I guess that also makes me immature.

Your theory did came across my mind. But who would have the most to gain from this? Perhaps less people would vote for him out of the fear of violence.

I really really really hate mainland Ring-wing Chinese people.

I think he will gain more sympathy votes out of this. I am not saying it's a conspiracy because obviously it's not. But I think this incident has a positive effect to his election. Whether it will be enough for him to win, I really don't know.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Replace Jacques Chirac with Saddam Hussein and do you really think that's true? It's probably not fair to compare the president of Taiwan to Saddam, but Chinese people might think so.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Why was he in a convertable I thought every figured out after JFK that important people should have some thing over their head at all times.

j@cko

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Why was he in a convertable I thought every figured out after JFK that important people should have some thing over their head at all times.

and what surprised me was that he wasn't even wearing bullet proof vest...:Q

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Only 3 cm of penetration?

What did they do, use a slingshot?

Viper GTS

lol....yes, a bullet can only penetrate the skin one way? hmmm...what if this was a side shot and the bullet grazed the skin instead of penetration? I think so. His vice president caught the bullet with her knee though, what a trooper!

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
isnt the US playing the China - Taiwan game both ways?

US wants to appeal to china, but also want to keep taiwan independent?