President, Vice President Of Taiwan Were Shot...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
OMG, i was watching taiwanese news coverage of the elections and they showed some of the festivities going on in different areas. THERE WAS A GROUP OF TAIWANESE GUYS DANCING TO MORNING MUSUME'S KOI NO DANCE SITE. OMG OMG OMG

i immediately jumped up and started dancing along, then the video ended and i started rolling around on the floor. :(

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: j@cko
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Why was he in a convertable I thought every figured out after JFK that important people should have some thing over their head at all times.

and what surprised me was that he wasn't even wearing bullet proof vest...:Q

Apparently, Chen loved participating in these type of rallies. Plus, there's no history of violence against the president in Taiwan's history so security was low. The day was hot so I guess he and the VP didn't feel a need for a bullet proof vest.

TurtleMan

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
man screeew the green party, omg , what kind President would forbid soldier/police to vote just bc his a$$ were shoot!!
30,000 difference, that's hellla close ..

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: prontospyder
Originally posted by: j@cko
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Why was he in a convertable I thought every figured out after JFK that important people should have some thing over their head at all times.
and what surprised me was that he wasn't even wearing bullet proof vest...:Q
Apparently, Chen loved participating in these type of rallies. Plus, there's no history of violence against the president in Taiwan's history so security was low. The day was hot so I guess he and the VP didn't feel a need for a bullet proof vest.
The politics in Taiwan are... different.

These guys wear gaudy colored vests, wave huge banners, hold hands, yell like maniacs, dance around and do all kinds of foolish stuff that make Howard Dean's maniacle laughter look like nothing at all. There was a media "stunt" last week where one of the parties candidate, VP candidate, and wives were physically kissing the ground to show their love for Taiwan. A few weeks ago the ruling party had a huge "everyone in Taiwan should hold hands at once" thing. Media coverage for this kind of stuff is huge over there.

I don't think getting shot the day before the elections is out of the question as a "stunt".

Both the president and vice president were shot. Both were just grazing wounds. The bullet that hit the president was recovered. It ended up in his coat pocket. The president was hit in the abdomen and the VP hit in the leg. There was a huge crowd, and no one saw the gunman or heard the shots.

I'm told that they were taken to a hospital in Tainan city. On the way to the hospital, they passed two other hospitals. One of those hospitals in one of the largest on the island. The hospital they ended up going to is owned by a party supporter. The media was having a field day with this on Friday night.

If it was set up, then the shooter was amazing! Really, kudos to him. As others point out, there's a lot of risk being taken around that kidney area with the huge arteries. That, and it appears that the bullet went through the front windscreen of the convertible jeep as the president was standing in the back. It was an amazing shot not to hit the guy sitting in the front passenger seat, and then to just graze the president. Would any of you take that risk???

If it wasn't set up, then the shooter is a moron. Aim for the center of mass... duh!

BTW, the election results as of midnight tonight (Saturday over there) was that the guy who got shot has been re-elected. The vote is really, really close, though. They won by about 30,000 votes... on an island with a population of about 22 or 23 million (total, not just voting age). Fractions of a percent! It's like the Florida thing in Taiwan! My friends over there wonder if there'll be riots.

I'm leaving for Taiwan on Wednesday. It should be fun.

luvya

Banned
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: TurtleMan
man screeew the green party, omg , what kind President would forbid soldier/police to vote just bc his a$$ were shoot!!

No, where did you get that news? Don't just manipulate fact!

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
the pres of taiwan is the uncle of my friend. there was another assassination attempt on him when he was major of Taipei (capital of taiwan). They assassins tried to run him over with a car but hit his wife instead. (she's now in a wheelchair)

Chen may be pro-independence, but i doubt he wants to disrupt relations with china.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: luvya
Originally posted by: TurtleMan

No, where did you get that news? Don't just manipulate fact!

he isn't

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&ncid=564&e=3&u=/nm/20040320/ts_nm/taiwan_election_dc_28

MISSING VOTES?

Police said they believed two assailants were involved and authorities offered a T$13 million ($390,000) reward for information leading to their capture. No one has been arrested.

After the attack, Chen activated the national security protocol, meaning 200,000 military and police -- traditionally Nationalist supporters -- could not vote.

"I think he (Chen) realizes that without the gunshot incident Lien may be president now, so now is the time for him to bring the country together," said Philip Yang, a political scientist at National Taiwan University.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
I take this as a warning to the U.S. to back off or Bush & Cheney will be next.
I was a freshman in college when some dimwit used a "public" res hall computer to send a death threat to Socks (Bill Clinton's cat, remember?). I guess the guy thought it was a perfect crime since he was using an open machine in the computer lab... but these guys showed up at the dorm wearing black suits and ear-mics a few days later.

I'm gonna forward your comment to the State Department, and we can see if they can find you too! :D

You'll have to tell us if they do an anal probe on you, okay? :Q

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by: cerebusPu
the pres of taiwan is the uncle of my friend. there was another assassination attempt on him when he was major of Taipei (capital of taiwan). They assassins tried to run him over with a car but hit his wife instead. (she's now in a wheelchair)

Chen may be pro-independence, but i doubt he wants to disrupt relations with china.

yup, heard that from my parents as well....

also, the stainless steel bullets they found were made for chinese issue guns...if that means anything

Most people of Taiwan don't really believe the president's opponent had anything to do with the assasination...or he staged this thing to get sympathy votes. Fact is, why would any real blooded Taiwanese want anything else but independence is beyond me! Why would anyone want to come to terms with China?

Did George Washington want to come to terms with England? hell no! He and many others wanted independence from England and they fought for it. I don't see why some Americans would say they couldn't care if Taiwan is absorbed by China :|

we also have our dish tuned in to Taiwanese news and it's crazy how many people are protesting for a recount...even late into the morning. Basically the country is divided in half right now :( I also find it funny about the recount situation...reminds me of Gore :p

Anyways, I hope everyone calms down soon, this can't be good for the country.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Rumpltzer
I was a freshman in college when some dimwit used a "public" res hall computer to send a death threat to Socks (Bill Clinton's cat, remember?). I guess the guy thought it was a perfect crime since he was using an open machine in the computer lab... but these guys showed up at the dorm wearing black suits and ear-mics a few days later.

I'm gonna forward your comment to the State Department, and we can see if they can find you too! :D

You should talk to the last guy who threatened to turn me in to Government officials over an innocent comment I made on ATOT...
rolleye.gif

lsman

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2001
www.flickr.com
Even Chen do made it for another 4 yr turn. There is nothing but bad for the foresee future.
Chen came from South (that's why he has support from the farmer, low education voters from South) and did a well job as Taipei mayor (North, the cap of Taiwan). His youth, swiftly action, not afraid to change works. That what make his success in the last election and make him president.
But in this 4 yr, taiwan facing the economic downturn. The stock market is low, unemployed rate is high. More (factory) jobs move to Mainland China. All are against Chen's last election promise of better economy.
As for what Chen can do reform during this 4 yr., he did less and less each year (policy was not pass). And some policy make the farmer, teacher very angry and they took it to the street to protest.

That's the reason behind why many ppl want a change. So even Chen do made it. He will have a hard time to make the divided taiwan back. (so true that he described the election is his last battle... he is out of cards to show for another, that's why he is switching the election campaign to more of a Taiwanese local pride, (that tick off Mainland China) from the other important issues like enconmy and his policy)

Hope ppl claim down and the "re-count" resolve.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003

You should talk to the last guy who threatened to turn me in to Government officials over an innocent comment I made on ATOT...
rolleye.gif
So scary!
rolleye.gif
LOL!

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

rolleye.gif
So scary!
rolleye.gif
LOL!

Don't push my buttons. This is one issue I won't back down from. If you want to call me names and mock me that's fine, but I will not put up with threats, especially threats of a legal nature. Just so you know, if you do decide to take this any further, slander and character assassination come to mind... Nobody wants a lawsuit on their hands, do they?
Have a nice day :)

BlackJesus03

Banned
Feb 20, 2004

If it wasn't set up, then the shooter is a moron. Aim for the center of mass... duh!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hesitate to think that the person was actually trying to kill them. I don't know if you are insinuating that they were, but because one was shot in the knee and the other in the stomach, i think that a message was being sent. Even the Chinese could do better than that if they wanted to, i think. The chinese are probably just letting him know that if they wanted to, they could get him.